Re: Upgrading activestate Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Horst-W. Radners, Oct 26, 2013.

  1. Bernie Cosell schrieb am 25.10.2013 04:05:
    > I discovered that my tried-and-true Activestate 5.12 is no longer supported
    > [unless you buy a business license] and so I'm upgrading to 5.16. From
    > what I've gathered you *can't* "upgrade" -- basically you have to install
    > the new one and 'start over'. I'm not sure how the system will work.
    > Since the ActiveState stuff is properly "installed" [right there in
    > installed programs: ActivePerl 5.12.2 Build 1202 (64 bit)] I'm thinking
    > that the cleanest thing to do is *uninstall* 5.12 and then just install
    > 5.16 [I really don't need them both and I'd like my "current" Perl to stay
    > where it is now: c:\perl64].
    >
    > first thing, I know I'll need to reinstall all of the modules that I've
    > added to 5.12 over the years. Here's a script that I think will do the
    > job:
    > [...]

    Please note that Activestate itself recommends to uninstall the old
    version before installing the new one.
    To get the same set of packages in the new install they say:

    AS> You can use ppm profile to help save and restore your locally
    AS> installed PPM packages. For example, to save a profile before you
    AS> upgrade, you can type:
    AS>
    AS> ppm profile save C:\profile.xml
    AS>
    AS> Once you have saved this profile, you can proceed with the new
    AS> install. Once done, you can use the profile you saved to reinstall
    AS> the same set of PPM packages in your new installation by typing:
    AS>
    AS> ppm profile restore C:\profile.xml

    I've successfully used this approach myself, as long as all installed
    packages are ppm'ed, of course.

    Best regards, Horst
    --
    <remove S P A M 2x from my email address to get the real one>
    Horst-W. Radners, Oct 26, 2013