Re: Uploading large files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by PJ, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. PJ

    PJ Guest

    It's in the web config...

    <httpRuntime
    executionTimeout="2400"
    maxRequestLength="131072"
    />

    There's a practical limit as well. The machine.config stores the settings
    of how much memory the aspnet_wp.dll is allowed to use. If you need to
    upload really large files, you will either have to buy a 3rd party
    httphandler or write your own.

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > This is going to be over the internet. I'm going to allow users to upload
    > mpeg and mp3 files for example, that will be submitted for approval by
    > myself in order to be posted on the site for download by other users.
    > Any suggestions now?
    > PS> How do you increase the page processing timeout in order to make the
    > file element work with large files?
    >

    > "Jason" <987654321> wrote in message
    > > i think you need to think carefully of your target audience - if its
    > > internet then i'd stop right now - if its intranet proceed. i use the

    > html
    > > file elements and yes - you could increase the page processing timeout

    > (you
    > > also have to up the amount of data the request can contain - i forget

    the
    > > attribute name) - but with those numbers - if you use session - you'll
    > > probably want to increase that also. to tell a lie - i've stopped using
    > > sessions altogether - i now from the beginning phase say - ok - how do

    we
    > > build this site without using sessions. why?
    > >
    > > many hosting companies do ridiculous memory recycles - and i need my

    apps
    > > survive no matter what the server environment. you might wish to

    consider
    > > this also if its internet. you might find users connections just cut

    for
    > no
    > > reason if your hosting is crap. not nice if you are 25mb in.
    > >
    > > for alternative suggestions you'll have to fill in some missing blanks

    as

    5
    > > > files or so and they may be up to 10mb a piece. Therefore, this could

    > > take
    > > > a little while to upload.
    > > > Would you recommend using the file input html elements and just

    setting

    PJ, Jun 24, 2003