RE: use make and version control system for every project?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Pettersen, Bjorn S, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. > From: Max M [mailto:]

    > Carl Banks wrote:
    >
    > >>A change history is vital on a fast-changing project; you
    > >>can see when a articular feature went in, when a bug was
    > >>fixed, when a structural change was made, etc.

    > > Why is that important? How often do you really need to know when a
    > > bug was fixed, for example? (I'm serious. I've never
    > > needed to know these things. Do other people really use these
    > > features for personal projects? And if they do, is it really
    > > that often?)

    > There is a difference in personal projects, and projetcs done by an
    > individual. If you just write something for your own use it might not
    > matter much.
    >
    > But if you write something for customers, or something that
    > other people use, it is a good idea to be able to tell the
    > customer what changes are made in the latest version they
    > have received.

    [..]

    Not to mention figuring out if you can upgrade them to the latest stable
    release vs. today's view of the 'development branch' (not breaking
    things that used to work seems to be important to some customers ;-)

    For small projects on Windows, e.g. SourceSafe is so integrated that it
    takes virtually no time, so I can't see any reason not to use it.

    -- bjorn
    Pettersen, Bjorn S, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Pettersen, Bjorn S

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Pettersen, Bjorn S" <> writes:

    > > From: Max M [mailto:]

    [...]
    > For small projects on Windows, e.g. SourceSafe is so integrated that it
    > takes virtually no time, so I can't see any reason not to use it.

    I've read comments in several places that SourceSafe has data
    integrity problems, and that Microsoft itself doesn't use it
    internally (or at least, not for everything). I have no personal
    experience of VSS.

    John
    John J. Lee, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Pettersen, Bjorn S

    John J. Lee Guest

    John J. Lee, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Pettersen, Bjorn S

    Peter Hansen Guest

    "John J. Lee" wrote:

    > "Pettersen, Bjorn S" <> writes:
    >
    > > > From: Max M [mailto:]

    > [...]
    > > For small projects on Windows, e.g. SourceSafe is so integrated that it
    > > takes virtually no time, so I can't see any reason not to use it.

    > I've read comments in several places that SourceSafe has data
    > integrity problems, and that Microsoft itself doesn't use it
    > internally (or at least, not for everything). I have no personal
    > experience of VSS.

    I've made such comments myself (about the data integrity issue)
    in the past. This was based on experience with what must surely be
    an older version of VSS (over two years ago). We had at least two,
    maybe three cases of serious corruption which we directly blamed
    on VSS, and which pushed us to transition to CVS. We have never
    regretted that change for one millisecond. (The archives would
    no doubt give slightly additional details... my own memory is
    pretty poor that far back.)

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Oct 6, 2003