Re: Use of compile flags in regular expressions.

Discussion in 'Python' started by MRAB, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. MRAB

    MRAB Guest

    On 19/07/2012 15:22, Steven W. Orr wrote:
    > I have a problem that I'm solving using a regex. (Yeah, I know, now I have two
    > problems...) ;-)>
    >
    > Anyways, the regex is about a couple of pages long and it works just peachy.
    > There's just one thing I'd like to do to make it more elegant.
    >
    > I need to compile the regex with MULTILINE and DOTALL. But there are a few
    > sections where I wish it was *not* compiled with DOTALL. For those cases, I
    > use (something like)
    >
    > [^\n]*
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > .*
    >
    > I see that I can use the (?MS) construct but I also see that it applies
    > globally and not to the subgroup that I'm using it in.
    >
    > * Is there a way to make it apply locally to a subgroup?

    It with the re module.

    > * If not, is there another way?

    The DOTALL . could be replaced with, say, [\d\D].

    > * Also, is this an incredible stroke of genius that I came up with this idea
    > of applying flags to a subgroup, or have others thought of this too and found
    > out that it's not really a good idea?

    Many other regex implementations do support scoped flags, including the
    one here:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex

    which is designed to be backwards-compatible with the re module.
    MRAB, Jul 19, 2012