Re: Use of tags in header meta statements

Discussion in 'XML' started by Alan J. Flavell, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. On Tue, Jul 22, Dean Tiegs inscribed on the eternal scroll:

    [I -ajf- had written, (specifically in regard to the character '<' in
    attribute values:]

    > > Well, I'm sure that this was legal in HTML: can you cite something
    > > in the specifications which rules it out in XHTML? I don't see
    > > anything listed in http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs for example
    > > which would rule-out this usage.

    > The OP had specifically mentioned XHTML, so those were the syntax
    > rules I was thinking of. (Actually I wasn't aware this was a
    > difference from HTML, so I just learned something.)

    And so, it seems, did I. How curious that they didn't seem to
    point this up as a difference from HTML.

    > Here's the citation:
    >
    > "The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may appear
    > in their literal form only when used as markup delimiters, or within a
    > comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are
    > needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either numeric character
    > references or the strings '&amp;' and '&lt;' respectively."
    >
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#syntax>

    So it does, although that's somewhat narrative in nature. But this:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-AttValue

    appears to clinch the deal, as far as XML is concerned. Does this
    restriction carry-over to XHTML, and if so, why isn't it mentioned
    here?: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4

    > Note that attribute values are not listed as an exception. I wonder
    > why it wasn't an exception? It causes no ambiguity, at least not for
    > "<". The authors probably just wanted to minimize the exceptions and
    > make the recommendation clear and simple.

    Perhaps we could ask the XML group (x-posted).

    [please feel free to narrow f'ups to whichever group you see fit.]
    Alan J. Flavell, Jul 22, 2003