Re: using a library

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Trifle Menot, Feb 28, 2014.

  1. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:57:36 -0600, Marek Novotny <>
    wrote:

    > Can I simply pass an array without conversion to a string??

    perlreftut says:

    > A reference is a scalar value that refers to an entire array
    > or an entire hash (or to just about anything else).

    So you could pass a reference to the array. Like passing a pointer in C.
    The syntax for using it can be tricky though.
    Trifle Menot, Feb 28, 2014

  2. >>>>> "TM" == Trifle Menot <> writes:

    TM> So you could pass a reference to the array. Like passing a
    TM> pointer in C. The syntax for using it can be tricky though.

    Tricky? It would appear that the value of the advice is directly
    proportional to the author's willingness to sign his name to it.

    sub foo {
    my ($name, $aref) = @_;
    my @arr = @$aref;

    }

    foo ('name', [1, 2, 3]);

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Feb 28, 2014

  3. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:26:50 -0500, Charlton Wilbur
    <> wrote:

    > TM> So you could pass a reference to the array. Like passing a
    > TM> pointer in C. The syntax for using it can be tricky though.
    >
    >Tricky? It would appear that the value of the advice is directly
    >proportional to the author's willingness to sign his name to it.

    I see my posts get you all riled up. Another usenet stalker.

    <plonk>
    Trifle Menot, Feb 28, 2014
  4. Trifle Menot

    Tim McDaniel Guest

    In article <>,
    Trifle Menot <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:26:50 -0500, Charlton Wilbur
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> TM> So you could pass a reference to the array. Like passing a
    >> TM> pointer in C. The syntax for using it can be tricky though.
    >>
    >>Tricky? It would appear that the value of the advice is directly
    >>proportional to the author's willingness to sign his name to it.

    >I see my posts get you all riled up. Another usenet stalker.
    >
    ><plonk>

    You appear to have some misunderstandings about the meanings of
    "tricky" (the syntax for an arrayref of constants is almost trivial)
    and "stalker".

    Please be so kind as to add me to your killfile, as I expect that
    I would be in excellent company there.

    --
    Tim McDaniel,
    Tim McDaniel, Feb 28, 2014
  5. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:43:19 +0000 (UTC), (Tim McDaniel)
    wrote:

    >>>Tricky? It would appear that the value of the advice is directly
    >>>proportional to the author's willingness to sign his name to it.

    >You appear to have some misunderstandings about the meanings of
    >"tricky"

    You and your good buddy treated that casual subjective remark as though
    it was a life threatening technical blunder. Its purpose went right over
    your heads. Tells me a lot your about mental state and group dynamics.

    It's not smart to join a gang of thugs. I could be a manager at work for
    all you know. Someone who enjoys firing arrogant little twerps.

    >Please be so kind as to add me to your killfile

    It's not nice to kill people. But you qualify for the ass clown list.
    Trifle Menot, Mar 2, 2014
  6. Trifle Menot

    Uri Guttman Guest

    TM> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:43:19 +0000 (UTC), (Tim McDaniel)
    TM> wrote:

    >>> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:26:50 -0500, Charlton Wilbur
    >>> <> wrote:

    TM> So you could pass a reference to the array. Like passing a
    TM> pointer in C. The syntax for using it can be tricky though.

    >> You appear to have some misunderstandings about the meanings of
    >> "tricky"

    TM> You and your good buddy treated that casual subjective remark as though
    TM> it was a life threatening technical blunder. Its purpose went right over
    TM> your heads. Tells me a lot your about mental state and group dynamics.

    TM> It's not smart to join a gang of thugs. I could be a manager at work for
    TM> all you know. Someone who enjoys firing arrogant little twerps.

    >> Please be so kind as to add me to your killfile

    TM> It's not nice to kill people. But you qualify for the ass clown list.

    wow, another twit who wants to fight off the perl world. we haven't had
    one like you in a while. usenet may be dying but twits live on
    forever. i happen to know charlton and your assessment of him as a
    stalker is not only wrong, but hilarious. it is always the twit who
    thinks he is being stalked whereas the reality he is being corrected all
    the time. look at purlgurl from a few years ago. you need to be much
    better to rise (or fall as the case may be) to be that paranoid and
    clueless. but we have hopes for you!

    and perl refs are not tricky in any subjective or objective views. the
    word choice was not only incorrect but damaging to any newbie the might
    stumble upon your post. hence it was vigorously countered by those who
    know better. i don't killfile people, i just laugh at them. to you i
    say, hardy har har!

    and by the way, i review perl people for my business as the perl
    hunter. i placed charlton successfully - he knows his perl. if you were
    to submit a resume, it would be rejected just on your attitude, let
    alone your perl skills. please send me one. my /dev/null has been hungry
    and underfed recently. and resumes with anonymous names don't get very
    far.

    uri
    Uri Guttman, Mar 3, 2014
  7. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 01:30:43 -0500, Uri Guttman <>
    wrote:

    > another twit who wants to fight off the perl world

    A few (three?) are not the world.

    > perl refs are not tricky in any subjective or objective views. the
    > word choice was not only incorrect

    Calling subjective opinions "incorrect" is incorrect.

    > but damaging to any newbie

    I doubt it. Maybe you're paranoid.
    Trifle Menot, Mar 3, 2014
  8. Trifle Menot

    Uri Guttman Guest

    TM> On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 01:30:43 -0500, Uri Guttman <>
    TM> wrote:

    >> another twit who wants to fight off the perl world

    TM> A few (three?) are not the world.

    considering usenet is pretty small these days, 3 is a lot. you can chat
    in a vacuum if you desire. it would only further prove your mental state
    isn't in good shape.

    >> perl refs are not tricky in any subjective or objective views. the
    >> word choice was not only incorrect

    TM> Calling subjective opinions "incorrect" is incorrect.

    hmm, opinions can be incorrect. yours are mostly so.

    >> but damaging to any newbie

    TM> I doubt it. Maybe you're paranoid.

    hahah!! wow. consider me not your stalker. but i won't let you get away
    with bullshit here. i have been in this group far too long and seen to
    much to let twits like you blather away. protecting newbies from bad
    perl advice is something i cherish.

    uri
    Uri Guttman, Mar 4, 2014
  9. Trifle Menot

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    On 2014-03-04, Uri Guttman <> wrote:
    > hahah!! wow. consider me not your stalker. but i won't let you get away
    > with bullshit here. i have been in this group far too long and seen to
    > much to let twits like you blather away. protecting newbies from bad
    > perl advice is something i cherish.

    I have nothing to do with this debate and don't know who is wrong or right
    (more importantly, do not *care*).

    I write from an starkly objective and detached position when I make this
    observation: the above paragraph reads like the work of a thirteen-year-old.

    (Which does tend to, ipso facto, make you wrong.)

    Moreover, come to think of it, if you there is any way you can make it rhyme,
    you could even have successful rap lyrics.

    We could apply an intellectual-level-preserving transformation to your
    semantics, while turning the expressive form into art! Watch:

    I'm gonna flame yo' ass and serve it up with relish.
    Cuz protectin' da n00bs from you is sumptn' dat I cherish.

    Seen too much of your kind and your twitty perl advices.
    Yo' mama walks the streets and yo' hair be full of lices.

    Okie then, don't mind me, carry on ...
    Kaz Kylheku, Mar 4, 2014
  10. On 2014-03-04 06:14, Kaz Kylheku <> wrote:
    > I'm gonna flame yo' ass and serve it up with relish.
    > Cuz protectin' da n00bs from you is sumptn' dat I cherish.
    >
    > Seen too much of your kind and your twitty perl advices.
    > Yo' mama walks the streets and yo' hair be full of lices.

    :)

    hp

    |_|_) | | Man feilt solange an seinen Text um, bis
    __/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | zusammenpaƟt. -- Ralph Babel
    Peter J. Holzer, Mar 4, 2014
  11. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 00:22:43 -0500, Uri Guttman <>
    wrote:

    > consider me not your stalker

    That's what they all say.

    <plonk>
    Trifle Menot, Mar 4, 2014
  12. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 06:14:54 +0000 (UTC), Kaz Kylheku <>
    wrote:

    >On 2014-03-04, Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    >> hahah!! wow. consider me not your stalker.

    >I have nothing to do with this debate

    Criticism that's personal and slanderous is not debate. It's trolling
    and that's when I stop listening.

    > I write from an starkly objective and detached position when I make this
    > observation: the above paragraph reads like the work of a thirteen-year-old.

    Some people never outgrow the teenage years.

    > I'm gonna flame yo' ass and serve it up with relish.
    > Cuz protectin' da n00bs from you is sumptn' dat I cherish.
    >
    > Seen too much of your kind and your twitty perl advices.
    > Yo' mama walks the streets and yo' hair be full of lices.

    Sounds about right.
    Trifle Menot, Mar 4, 2014
  13. Trifle Menot

    Uri Guttman Guest

    TM> On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 00:22:43 -0500, Uri Guttman <>
    TM> wrote:

    >> consider me not your stalker

    TM> That's what they all say.

    TM> <plonk>

    good for you. i will still followup to correct your nonsense so others
    won't be fooled.

    uri
    Uri Guttman, Mar 4, 2014
  14. Trifle Menot

    Trifle Menot Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:25:43 +0000, Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    > You are new here, Charlton is a regular ... of course the other regulars
    > are going to tend to take his side. Learn not to take it personally, or
    > you will very quickly wear out your welcome.

    I don't need regular approval. Welcome or not, here I am. As long as it
    interests me.
    Trifle Menot, Mar 4, 2014