Re: using cpan effectively

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Rainer Weikusat, Aug 15, 2012.

  1. Cal Dershowitz <> writes:
    > I seem to have wiped out my previous perl install when updating
    > ubuntu, so I'm back to square one. I've installed cpan, Data::Dumper,
    > YAML, File::Slurp successfully, but hit a snag when installing
    > Image::Magick.
    >
    > What does a person do when make install fails? The particular error
    > looks to be:
    >
    > [can only paste as quotation]
    >> CPAN.pm: Going to build J/JC/JCRISTY/PerlMagick-6.77.tar.gz
    >>
    >> Checking if your kit is complete...
    >> Looks good
    >> Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lMagickCore

    >> Magick.xs:60:31: fatal error: magick/MagickCore.h: No such file or directory
    >> compilation terminated.

    This suggest that your install lacks the 'development package' for the
    ImageMagick libaries and possibly, the library package as well.
    Rainer Weikusat, Aug 15, 2012

  2. Rainer Weikusat

    J. Gleixner Guest

    On 08/21/12 04:36, Cal Dershowitz wrote:
    > On 08/15/2012 04:50 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
    >
    >> This suggest that your install lacks the 'development package' for the
    >> ImageMagick libaries and possibly, the library package as well.
    >>

    > $ convert DSCN1452.JPG -resize 22% testpic.jpg
    > convert: no decode delegate for this image format `DSCN1452.JPG' @
    > error/constitute.c/ReadImage/544.
    > convert: no images defined `testpic.jpg' @
    > error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3044.
    > $
    >
    > I think I've got the perl side of it, but I'm missing things.

    Used Google and it reported many links.. Maybe this one will help?

    http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12366

    In short, you also need to install the jpg, and other graphics
    related libraries that you need. Not a perl thing.
    J. Gleixner, Sep 4, 2012