Re: Using Html Tidy

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 1, 2013.

  1. 2013-08-01 6:29, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > After many years of writing and editing personal web pages by using
    > first Netscape and recently SeaMonkey as page editors, I started paying
    > serious attention to what the source code for those pages of mine looked
    > like.

    "There is always someone who is rewriting working code, to clean it up
    or to speed it up." (Anon.) I would recommend doing something more
    useful, like writing new pages, updating content, or watching birds.

    > There was a huge amount of obvious duplication of starting and end1ng
    > commands like <small> and </small> which sure looked to me like they
    > were not needed.

    If that's what your authoring tools produce, consider switching to other
    tools.

    > Someone suggested I try an online HTML checker/repairer called "HTML
    > Tidy"

    It's really not what its name suggests. It is capable of producing
    rather untidy mess when it replaces presentational HTML markup by CSS
    code, generating pointless class names etc.

    > When I check one of my "Messy" homemade html files with that program It
    > usually reports zero "errors" but lists hundreds of "warnings."
    >
    > If I save the "checked" file and then check it again with the same HTML
    > Tidy program it reports the same zero "errors" but the number of
    > "warnings" drops to only a couple.

    Hard to tell what is going on without specific information. But HTML
    Tidy isn't really worth inspecting that much.

    > And, the size of that program's source code usually drops to half or
    > less of what it started as.

    Er... you have worked with the source code of HTML Tidy? Or are you
    calling your HTML document "that program"?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 1, 2013

  2. Jukka K. Korpela

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <ktcrl8$jt9$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > 2013-08-01 6:29, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    >
    > > After many years of writing and editing personal web pages by using
    > > first Netscape and recently SeaMonkey as page editors, I started paying
    > > serious attention to what the source code for those pages of mine looked
    > > like.

    > "There is always someone who is rewriting working code, to clean it up
    > or to speed it up." (Anon.) I would recommend doing something more
    > useful, like writing new pages, updating content, or watching birds.
    >
    > > There was a huge amount of obvious duplication of starting and end1ng
    > > commands like <small> and </small> which sure looked to me like they
    > > were not needed.

    > If that's what your authoring tools produce, consider switching to other
    > tools.

    IMO, the Op should stop farting about with rubbish tools for "writing
    and editing personal web pages", consider learning HTML properly, and
    then use a proper text editor to create them.

    And what is a "personal webpage" and how does it differ from any other
    webpage?

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Aug 1, 2013

  3. Jukka K. Korpela

    Gloops Guest

    Tim Streater wrote, on 01st Aug. 2013 10:56 UTC + 2 :
    > And what is a "personal webpage" and how does it differ from any other
    > webpage?

    A webpage of which nobody will verify the code until you do it yourself ?
    Gloops, Aug 1, 2013