Re: Using Ming on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jack Diederich, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:13:29PM -0300, Andr? Roberge wrote:
    > I tried to install Ming
    > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming/)
    > on Windows to use with Python *but*
    > I can't [/don't know how to] use "make" to install it.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I could find a ready-made compiled
    > version for Windows to just "put in" my site-packages directory.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Ming seems to be abandoded/unsupported. Use groups.google.com to
    find some hints on how to install it. I've done it on linux, but
    never tried on windows (why would I?) and replied with some
    suggestions last time it came up on c.l.py

    -jackdied

    Jack Diederich, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Jack Diederich wrote:
    > On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:13:29PM -0300, Andr? Roberge wrote:
    >
    >>I tried to install Ming
    >>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming/)
    >>on Windows to use with Python *but*
    >>I can't [/don't know how to] use "make" to install it.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know where I could find a ready-made compiled
    >>version for Windows to just "put in" my site-packages directory.
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated.
    >>

    > Ming seems to be abandoded/unsupported. Use groups.google.com to
    > find some hints on how to install it. I've done it on linux, but
    > never tried on windows (why would I?) and replied with some
    > suggestions last time it came up on c.l.py
    >
    > -jackdied

    I installed MinGW on a Windows XP with no trouble. One needs to install
    MSYS, as well as MinGW, since some modules (eg. make) are only available
    in MSYS.

    Currently, I am trying to build a package from source and have some
    unresolved problems. Earlier I had tried to use the Borland
    commandline, without success.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Colin J. Williams wrote:
    > Jack Diederich wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 05:13:29PM -0300, Andr? Roberge wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried to install Ming
    >>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming/)
    >>> on Windows to use with Python *but*
    >>> I can't [/don't know how to] use "make" to install it.
    >>>

    > I installed MinGW on a Windows XP with no trouble. One needs to install
    > MSYS, as well as MinGW, since some modules (eg. make) are only available
    > in MSYS.
    >
    > Currently, I am trying to build a package from source and have some
    > unresolved problems. Earlier I had tried to use the Borland
    > commandline, without success.
    >
    > Colin W.

    MinGW is a minimalistic Gnu for Windows.

    Ming is a Flash/swf library.

    A.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Roberge?=, Apr 24, 2005
  4. I never managed to link my python extensions (mingw .a) with python and
    broke down and bought Visual/C++ as it is the compiler used by Python.

    Yet some people seem to have managed:
    http://uucode.com/texts/python-mingw/python-mingw.html

    Regards,

    Philippe