Re: using split for a string : error

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Tobias M. <> wrote:
    > Chris Angelico wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd not consider the performance, but the correctness. If you're
    >> expecting them to be integers, just cast them, and specifically
    >> _don't_ catch ValueError. Any non-integer value will then noisily
    >> abort the script. (It may be worth checking for blank first, though,
    >> depending on the data origin.)

    > Well, when I said you should catch the ValueError I didn't imply you should
    > ignore the error and supress any error messages. Of course this depents on
    > the use case. Maybe you want to raise another exception with a more user
    > friendly error message or you might want to skip the line and just print a
    > warning. :)
    >
    > What I'm trying to say: When I give a script/program to a user who is not a
    > python programmer I don't want him to see an error message like "ValueError:
    > invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'abc'" as this would help him in no
    > way.

    Sure. Definitely. But for a proglet where the programmer IS the user
    (which I think is one of Python's best use-cases), that exception
    landing on the console is better than having to think ahead of time
    about what might go wrong.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Jan 24, 2013