Re: UTF-32 decoder optimization in Python 3.4

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Nov 12, 2013.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 11/11/2013 4:41 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    > From http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.4.html#optimizations "The
    > UTF-32 decoder is now 3x to 4x faster.". Does anybody have any
    > references to this work? All I can find is the 3.3 what's new which
    > refers to PEP 393 (Flexible String Representation) optimizations as a
    > result of work done by Serhiy Storchaka on issues 14624, 14738 and 15026.

    The second line at the top has "For full details, see the changelog."
    where changelog links to
    http://docs.python.org/3.4/whatsnew/changelog.html
    Searching that for 'UTF-34' goes to this line
    "Issue #14625: Rewrite the UTF-32 decoder. It is now 3x to 4x faster.
    Patch written by Serhiy Storchaka." where 'Issue #14625' links to
    http://bugs.python.org/issue14625
    with full discussion. (I know that you, Mark, could have found that, but
    not everyone reading could.)

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Nov 12, 2013

  2. Terry Reedy

    Guest

    Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 03:11:48 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :
    > On 11/11/2013 4:41 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
    >
    > > From http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.4.html#optimizations "The

    > > UTF-32 decoder is now 3x to 4x faster.". Does anybody have any

    > > references to this work? All I can find is the 3.3 what's new which

    > > refers to PEP 393 (Flexible String Representation) optimizations as a

    > > result of work done by Serhiy Storchaka on issues 14624, 14738 and 15026.

    > The second line at the top has "For full details, see the changelog."
    >
    > where changelog links to
    >
    > http://docs.python.org/3.4/whatsnew/changelog.html
    >
    > Searching that for 'UTF-34' goes to this line
    >
    > "Issue #14625: Rewrite the UTF-32 decoder. It is now 3x to 4x faster.
    >
    > Patch written by Serhiy Storchaka." where 'Issue #14625' links to
    >
    > http://bugs.python.org/issue14625
    >
    > with full discussion. (I know that you, Mark, could have found that, but
    >
    > not everyone reading could.)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    I'm not so sure, I understood the last sentence correctly.
    If you are thinking about me, yes I'm aware of it.

    jmf

    , Nov 12, 2013

  3. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 11/12/2013 1:25 PM, wrote:
    > Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 03:11:48 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :

    >> with full discussion. (I know that you, Mark, could have found that, but
    >> not everyone reading could.)

    > I'm not so sure, I understood the last sentence correctly.
    > If you are thinking about me, yes I'm aware of it.

    No, I was not thinking about you at all, but rather a newbie who is
    unaware of bugs.python.org and would not know that 'Issue #14625' is to
    be found there.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Nov 13, 2013
  4. Terry Reedy

    Guest

    Le mercredi 13 novembre 2013 02:25:55 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :
    > On 11/12/2013 1:25 PM, wrote:
    >
    > > Le mardi 12 novembre 2013 03:11:48 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :

    > >> with full discussion. (I know that you, Mark, could have found that, but

    > >> not everyone reading could.)

    > > I'm not so sure, I understood the last sentence correctly.

    > > If you are thinking about me, yes I'm aware of it.

    > No, I was not thinking about you at all, but rather a newbie who is
    >
    > unaware of bugs.python.org and would not know that 'Issue #14625' is to
    >
    > be found there.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Terry Jan Reedy

    jmf