    vs
    3.1415926535897931

    Kee Nethery

    Kee Nethery, Mar 17, 2011

  2. Kee Nethery

    peter Guest

    On Mar 17, 5:22 pm, Kee Nethery <> wrote:
    > My favorite approximation is: 355/113  (visualize 113355 split into two113 355 and then do the division). The first 6 decimal places are the same..
    >
    > 3.141592920353982 = 355/113
    > vs
    > 3.1415926535897931
    >
    > Kee Nethery

    Or (more for fun than any practical application) try (2143/22)^(1/4) =
    3.14159265268.

    Other approximations I have seen are root(10) and 3.142. This last
    was especially popular at school, which for me was sufficiently long
    ago to have used four figure log tables.

    The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
    ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
    his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
    round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    peter, Mar 18, 2011

  3. Kee Nethery

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2011-03-18, peter <> wrote:
    > The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten
    > sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round
    > all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty
    > cubits did compass it round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    Neil Cerutti, Mar 18, 2011
  4. Neil Cerutti, 18.03.2011 13:17:
    > On 2011-03-18, peter<> wrote:
    >> The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten
    >> sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round
    >> all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty
    >> cubits did compass it round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    > RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

    I think that particular author of that particular part of the bible just
    used it to make the text appear older than it was at the time.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Mar 18, 2011
  5. D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Mar 18, 2011
  6. Kee Nethery

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KHt8xrQkk

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    Neil Cerutti, Mar 18, 2011
  7. "peter"
    Kee Nethery > My favorite approximation is: 355/113 (visualize 113355 split
    into two 113 355 and then do the division). The first 6 decimal places are
    the same.

    > 3.141592920353982 = 355/113
    > vs
    > 3.1415926535897931
    >
    > Kee Nethery

    Or (more for fun than any practical application) try (2143/22)^(1/4) =
    3.14159265268.

    Other approximations I have seen are root(10) and 3.142. This last
    was especially popular at school, which for me was sufficiently long
    ago to have used four figure log tables.

    The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
    ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
    his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
    round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    3 is the best integer approximation to pi. So the bibel is right.

    Aage

    Aage Andersen, Mar 18, 2011
  8. Sherm Pendley, 18.03.2011 14:46:
    > Stefan Behnel writes:
    >
    >> Neil Cerutti, 18.03.2011 13:17:
    >>>
    >>> RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit
    >>
    >> I think that particular author of that particular part of the bible
    >> just used it to make the text appear older than it was at the time.

    > Sigh. Doesn't *anyone* know Cosby any more? Kids today, no appreciation
    > for the classics. :-(

    And what about Heinz Erhardt? *That's* a classic.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Mar 18, 2011
  9. On 2011-03-18, peter <> wrote:

    > The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
    > ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
    > his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
    > round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    There's nothing wrong with that value. The measurements were given
    with one significant digit, so the ratio of the two measurements
    should only have one significant digit.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's some people
    at inside the wall! This is

    Grant Edwards, Mar 18, 2011
  10. Kee Nethery

    Kee Nethery Guest

    On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Neil Cerutti wrote:

    > On 2011-03-18, peter <> wrote:
    >> The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten
    >> sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round
    >> all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty
    >> cubits did compass it round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    > RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    I use cubits all the time. The distance from my elbow to my finger tips equals one cubit. When you don't have a proper measuring tape, it can be pretty accurate for comparing two measurements.

    Kee Nethery

    Kee Nethery, Mar 18, 2011
  11. Kee Nethery

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> Neil Cerutti <> writes:

    > RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    How long can you tread water?

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

    John Gordon, Mar 18, 2011
  12. On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 14:16 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2011-03-18, peter <> wrote:
    > > The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
    > > ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
    > > his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
    > > round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    > There's nothing wrong with that value. The measurements were given
    > with one significant digit, so the ratio of the two measurements
    > should only have one significant digit.

    I've worked in landscaping and [low-scale] agriculture - pi as 3 is used
    all the time. It is easy to compute in your head and close enough.

    Adam Tauno Williams, Mar 18, 2011
  13. On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:05:07 +0100, "Aage Andersen"
    <aaan(REMOVE)@email.dk> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Other approximations I have seen are root(10) and 3.142. This last
    > was especially popular at school, which for me was sufficiently long
    > ago to have used four figure log tables.

    Strange... Somewhere around 12 grade I finally memorized it as

    3.141592654 where the 4 is a 36 rounded

    As you can probably guess -- from a scientific calculator with a hidden
    guard digit <G>
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Mar 19, 2011
  14. On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:22:43 -0700, Kee Nethery wrote:

    > On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Neil Cerutti wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-03-18, peter <> wrote:
    >>> The Old Testament (1 Kings 7,23) says ... "And he made a molten sea,
    >>> ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and
    >>> his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it
    >>> round about. ". So pi=3. End Of.

    >> RIIIIIIght. What's a cubit?

    > I use cubits all the time. The distance from my elbow to my finger tips
    > equals one cubit. When you don't have a proper measuring tape, it can be
    > pretty accurate for comparing two measurements.

    "Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe."

    Just wait until you tell your apprentice to go fetch a piece of wood
    three cubits long... damn kids with their short/long arms...

    :)

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Mar 19, 2011