Re: VB6: Method to compare two XML documents

Discussion in 'XML' started by Nick Kew, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of "GrinKore" <> wrote:

    > What I want to do is to compare two xml documents so that I can
    > determine what files have changed since last scan.

    (1) (Best solution)
    If they're coming from web servers, they should have Last-Modified
    information and you shouldn't even fetch any that haven't changed.

    (2) (likely to be thousands of times slower)
    Even if your publishing system is too broken for that, you should still
    be able to detect change by computing a simple signature - like an MD5
    checksum.

    (3) (slower again than (2), but not by a huge amount )
    If there may be changes you want to ignore, run a SAX parse that takes
    only what you're interested in and computes a checksum. Check the
    w3.org archives for more on markup hashing.

    (4) (likely to be thousands of times slower than (3) )
    Run a full-blooded xml-diff. Still, if you're using M$ you're
    already committed to massive IT overspend.

    > begin 666 SFSO.xml

    Please don't do that.

    --
    Nick Kew