Re: Version Number

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Curt_C [MVP], Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Curt_C [MVP]

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    the AssemblyInfo file holds the version tag settings.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    "Lori McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > I have code that is reused throughout several sites and I have it all

    compiled into one assembly that I use with the different applications.

    > I want to do a better job of version control and managing what version I

    am using with the different applications (in the past I have not done this).

    > However the when I go to the File Properties of the DLL it tells me that

    the version number is 0.0.0.0 and I cannot find a way to change this in
    Visual Studio.Net

    > I use CVS and a PushOK plugin for a version control system and it would be

    neat if it could work with that.. but I am guessing that is beyond the scope
    of this newsgroup.

    > Can anyone tell me how I can manually increment the version or get Visual

    Studio to do it for me?

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 10, 2004

  2. Here must be my problem. I don't see an AssemblyInfo file under SolutionExplorer. Do I need to create one?

    Did I do something wrong when I setup my project that it wasn't created?

    Thanks,
    Lori

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaSBNY0RvbmFsZA==?=, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Hi Lori,

    I agree with Curt that we should specify the version number of a assembly
    via the "AssemblyVersion" attribute such as
    [assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.*")]

    As for the "AssemblyInfo.cs(.vb)" file, this is a file VS.NET automatically
    created for us(for control the assembly's build options) when we create a
    new project. You can try creating a new project(no matter winform or web
    application) to have a look. And here is some tech articles in MSDN about
    the version control for .net:

    #Managing Versions of an Application
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/managevers.asp?frame=t
    rue

    #Team Development with Visual Studio .NET and Visual SourceSafe
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_ch5.asp?frame=true

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 11, 2004
  4. OK. I see that when you create a new "Web Control Library" project it creates a AssemblyInfo.vb file.

    It appears that someone I mistakenly created an Empty project instead.

    Does anyone know how I can convert my project over? Do I just add an Assembly Informatio file with an Add New Item? Or do I have to do something else?

    Thanks,
    Lori

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaSBNY0RvbmFsZA==?=, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Hi Lori,

    Just add a new one (AssemblyInfo.cs(.vb)file) or copy one from other
    projects which contain such a file. Also, if you can change it to some
    other names if you would like. No other particular setting needed.:)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 11, 2004
  6. That fixed it.

    Thanks,
    Lori

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9yaSBNY0RvbmFsZA==?=, Jun 11, 2004