Re: Very less resource fixed point 32x32 bit multiplier and 32/32divider

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Kevin Neilson, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. Pratap wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I need to build an ASIC synthesizable fixed point 32x32 multiplier and
    > fixed point 32/32 divider with very less hardware resource for my
    > design.Speed is not at all a matter for me.
    > I can space 100s of cycles for my computaions.
    > Can anybody help me with the code (preferably in VHDL) or suitable
    > references?
    > Thanks,
    > Pratap

    If speed isn't an issue, you could put in a small 8- or 16-bit
    microprocessor and small instruction ROM and let the C compiler take
    care of the floating point operations.
    -Kevin
    Kevin Neilson, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Kevin Neilson

    quantum_dot

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2006
    Messages:
    31
    If speed is not an issue, then one solution can be to use a high speed internal clock and do the multiplication operation in sequence using on 32x32 bit multiplier

    :driver:
    quantum_dot, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Kevin Neilson

    jeppe

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Messages:
    348
    Location:
    Denmark
    jeppe, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Kevin Neilson wrote:
    > Pratap wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I need to build an ASIC synthesizable fixed point 32x32 multiplier and
    >> fixed point 32/32 divider with very less hardware resource for my
    >> design.Speed is not at all a matter for me.
    >> I can space 100s of cycles for my computaions.
    >> Can anybody help me with the code (preferably in VHDL) or suitable
    >> references?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Pratap
    >>

    > If speed isn't an issue, you could put in a small 8- or 16-bit
    > microprocessor and small instruction ROM and let the C compiler take
    > care of the floating point operations.
    > -Kevin

    Sorry; I just noticed you said "fixed point" and not "floating point".
    If you've got lots of time, you can make a multiplier from a single
    adder and a divider from a single subtractor. Or if you wanted to be
    smaller, you could go down to a single two-bit full adder, or use
    bit-serial techniques. I would think, though, that in an ASIC, you have
    plenty of gates, and simple "*" will be nicely synthesized into a small
    core from the ASIC library.
    -Kevin
    Kevin Neilson, Aug 25, 2008