Re: VHDL-2008

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by HT-Lab, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. HT-Lab

    HT-Lab Guest

    Hi Jim,

    That is excellent news, well done to you and the Accellera team!

    As you mentioned we *all* need to speak to our vendors/distributors to get
    this standard adopted as quick as possible. The process is simple, send them
    an email asking for an Enhancement Request (ER) to get this standard
    implemented.

    Make sure you get an ER or equivalent number this to make sure you request
    is in "the system" and doesn't get lost :)

    If you want to be specific (better) just check out some of the new features
    from Jim's presentation or the Doulos website and ask the vendor to
    implement them.

    http://www.synthworks.com/papers/vhdl_accellera_lewis_marlug_2006_bw.pdf
    http://www.doulos.com/knowhow/vhdl_designers_guide/vhdl_200x/

    I have already asked Mentor several times to look at this standard,
    unfortunately according to a Mentor engineer I am one of the few who has
    done this, so please send that email!

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Oct 9, 2008

  2. HT-Lab wrote:

    > As you mentioned we *all* need to speak to our vendors/distributors to get
    > this standard adopted as quick as possible. The process is simple, send them
    > an email asking for an Enhancement Request (ER) to get this standard
    > implemented.

    The more realistic way to get features implemented is to ask smaller
    features which are really needed. Asking for the whole standard will
    make the enhancement very big task, and when the work amount is big
    and priority is low it won't get implemented.

    It took years to get the SystemVerilog completely implemented to the
    simulators.

    >I have already asked Mentor several times to look at this standard,
    >unfortunately according to a Mentor engineer I am one of the few who
    >has done this,

    They already have some preliminary support. Read the
    docs/technotes/vhdl200x.note

    --Kim

    Kim Enkovaara, Oct 10, 2008

  3. HT-Lab

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Kim Enkovaara" <> wrote in message
    > HT-Lab wrote:
    >
    >> As you mentioned we *all* need to speak to our vendors/distributors to
    >> get this standard adopted as quick as possible. The process is simple,
    >> send them an email asking for an Enhancement Request (ER) to get this
    >> standard implemented.

    > The more realistic way to get features implemented is to ask smaller
    > features which are really needed.

    I agree, hence I wrote "better" between brackets.

    > Asking for the whole standard will
    > make the enhancement very big task, and when the work amount is big
    > and priority is low it won't get implemented.

    Perhaps, however, from a marketing point of view it makes very little sense
    to implement just one feature. What they want is to be able to say, we
    support VHDL-2008 standard, which is slighly better than saying we support
    only case? from the VHDL2008 standard :)

    > It took years to get the SystemVerilog completely implemented to the
    > simulators.

    This is a silly comparison, have you ever seen the SystemVerilog LRM? it is
    absolutely massive and it dwarfs the VHDL-2008 enhancements. If you look at
    Modelsim most (if not all) of the enhancements are already available in one
    way or another. The only problem for companies like Mentor is that they need
    to implement the standard across a number of products (Modelsim, Precision,
    HDL Designer) and I suspect this is going to take time.

    > >I have already asked Mentor several times to look at this standard,
    > >unfortunately according to a Mentor engineer I am one of the few who has
    > >done this,

    > They already have some preliminary support. Read the
    > docs/technotes/vhdl200x.note

    Have you? I checked it out when it first became available and was highly
    disappointed. The enhancements are nothing more than supporting the
    fixed/floating point package (without any waveform support!) and a simple
    VHDL package for the Verilog $finish task.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Oct 10, 2008