Re: VHDL-2008

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Sean Durkin, Oct 17, 2008.

  1. Sean Durkin

    Sean Durkin Guest

    Jim Lewis wrote:
    > P.S.
    > Since most of these features are also part of Accellera
    > VHDL Draft 3.0 (we viewed this as a trial standard on the road
    > to making the VHDL revision), there is no reason not to submit
    > bug reports to your vendors now requesting your favorite
    > features to be implemented - please be specific as they
    > tend to do the things asked for most first.

    I asked for VHDL-2008 support in my favourite simulator and synthesis
    tool. For the synthesis tool they said that they have support on the
    roadmap, but it might get pushed back until it is widely adopted and
    used by many people, so they closed my enhancement request.

    For the simulation tool they said that support will be coming anyway, so
    they closed my enhancement request.

    Not really feeling like requesting helps any. :)

    cu,
    Sean

    --
    My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
    Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...
    Sean Durkin, Oct 17, 2008

  2. Sean Durkin

    HT-Lab Guest

    "Sean Durkin" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Lewis wrote:
    > > P.S.
    >> Since most of these features are also part of Accellera
    >> VHDL Draft 3.0 (we viewed this as a trial standard on the road
    >> to making the VHDL revision), there is no reason not to submit
    >> bug reports to your vendors now requesting your favorite
    >> features to be implemented - please be specific as they
    >> tend to do the things asked for most first.

    > I asked for VHDL-2008 support in my favourite simulator and synthesis
    > tool. For the synthesis tool they said that they have support on the
    > roadmap, but it might get pushed back until it is widely adopted and
    > used by many people, so they closed my enhancement request.

    Sound like a chicken and egg situation to me. How can it become widely
    adopted if they are all waiting for it to become widely adopted?

    > For the simulation tool they said that support will be coming anyway, so
    > they closed my enhancement request.

    I am not sure who your vendor is but this is pretty lame. Did they give you
    a date/version? if not then the ER should remain pending.

    > Not really feeling like requesting helps any. :)

    It did, although your ER has been closed, it is now in "the system". ER's
    are valuable for marketing in that they can see what their user base is
    asking for.

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Oct 17, 2008