Re: VHDL testbench: read BMP Files?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Martin Thompson, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. "itsme" <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    > I want to direct read a Picture from a BMP File in a VHDL testbench and
    > generate out of this some Stimulis for my video processing and store the
    > video output again in a BMP File.
    > Is there a library/Package?
    > As I know there is a TEXTIO package but there must be ASCII data to read.
    > How can a access raw File data?

    Does it have to be a BMP - if you can convert them to PGM (portable
    grey map ) or PPM (portable pixel map) you can read and write them
    very easily with std VHDL. I even wrote a package to do it, but my
    employer owns it unfortunately...

    Read up on the formats here
    http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppm.html
    http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/pgm.html