Re: viewing mbr os descriptor

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bill Cunningham, May 19, 2008.

  1. "Jens Thoms Toerring" <> wrote in message
    news:-berlin.de...

    > If you feel that you can't get a grasp om these things I
    > can only recommend that you use some other language than
    > C. There are lots and lots of very good languages not re-
    > quiring you to learn these maybe somewhat arcane things
    > and which allow you to write great programs. But if you
    > want to learn C then you also have to learn printf()
    > format specifiers etc. or it will remain just a very
    > frustrating experience.
    > Regards, Jens

    I don't feel I can't ever grasp them, I just don't know them. With
    printf I know how to use %x and %? what ever after the %. Even whole numbers
    and decimals after the %. Now I'm learning as I read about $ and # and even
    [ and ] in printf. I haven't seen that in my tutorials or if I remember
    correctly maybe not even kandr2.

    Bill

    Bill Cunningham, May 19, 2008

  2. On 19 May, 19:39, "Bill Cunningham" <> wrote:
    > "Jens Thoms Toerring" <> wrote in
    > messagenews:-berlin.de...
    >
    > > If you feel that you can't get a grasp om these things I
    > > can only recommend that you use some other language than
    > > C. There are lots and lots of very good languages not re-
    > > quiring you to learn these maybe somewhat arcane things
    > > and which allow you to write great programs. But if you
    > > want to learn C then you also have to learn printf()
    > > format specifiers etc. or it will remain just a very
    > > frustrating experience.

    >     I don't feel I can't ever grasp them, I just don't know them.

    few people do. RTFM

    > With
    > printf I know how to use %x and %? what ever after the %. Even whole numbers
    > and decimals after the %. Now I'm learning as I read about $

    $ is non-standard. $ isn't even in C's source character set.

    > and # and even
    > [ and ] in printf. I haven't seen that in my tutorials or if I remember
    > correctly maybe not even kandr2.

    # is in my K&R (section B1.2 Formatted Output). I generally think
    Harbison
    and Steel is better for the library. There are online versions of the
    (draft but close to final) standard. And the C standard is pretty
    readable.

    --
    Nick Keighley

    Nick Keighley, May 20, 2008