Re: Vote tallying...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Jan 18, 2013.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 01/18/13 13:26, Kwpolska wrote:
    > On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Nick Cash wrote:
    >> MySQL would certainly be fine, although I always recommend PostgreSQL over it.

    > Bonus question, why?

    I write only from my personal experience, but the following might be
    reasons that Nick recommends PostgreSQL over MySQL:

    - Postgres has a history of putting SQL/database integrity first
    where MySQL emphasized speed over correctness.

    - it took a long time for MySQL to add more complex transactions and
    complex queries (things got a bit better in the 5.1 iterations of MySQL)

    - better support in Postgres for FOREIGN KEY constraints

    - a more linear scaling (the performance graphs I've seen for MySQL
    tend to buckle at a certain point, while the PSQL graphs for the
    same load tend to be more linear)

    - Postgres has a better track record of scaling across multiple
    processors/cores

    - there are just some serious what-the-heck's in MySQL's handling of
    some edge cases regarding NULL values and dates (Feb 31st anybody).
    There's a good compilation of them at [1]. Any one of them is
    enough to make me queasy at the idea of entrusting my data to it.

    - I'm not sure I'd trust MySQL under Oracle these days having seen
    how they (don't) promote it

    I do find that administering MySQL is just a bit less headache, but
    at a certain level of administration needs, Postgres offers more
    features.

    Just my 0.02 of whatever your local currency is :)

    -tkc

    [1]
    http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
    Tim Chase, Jan 18, 2013