Re: Vote tallying...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kushal Kumaran, Jan 19, 2013.

  1. Chris Angelico <> writes:

    > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    >> * MySQL's development has suffered under Sun, and become virtually
    >> moribund under Oracle. They operate as a closed shop, occasionally
    >> tossing GPL-licensed releases over the wall, with very little input
    >> accepted from the community.

    > I don't know whether it's a legit concern or pure FUD, but it's been
    > suggested that since the MySQL license is GPL and not LGPL, any code
    > that links against it is forced to be GPL too. I'm not sure how far
    > that goes (eg if you're using it from Python, at what point does it
    > stop being "code linked to GPL code" and start being a discrete
    > system), and IANAL, but I prefer to work with systems with more
    > freedom in their licensing. PostgreSQL is under a BSD-like license, so
    > it can be used without issues.

    Oracle have a page about this:
    http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

    > Also, and a completely irrelevant point but maybe of curiosity: It's
    > perfectly possible to use PostgreSQL without linking against libpq (by
    > reimplementing the wire protocol - Pike's pgsql module does that), but
    > I've never heard of anyone doing that with MySQL. Perhaps if someone
    > cared, they could release a non-GPL equivalent to libmysql and that
    > would solve this problem. Not gonna be me, though, I'm quite happy
    > with PG 9.1.

    As far as python goes, there are at least two pure-python
    implementations of the mysql protocol available:

    - https://github.com/petehunt/PyMySQL (MIT license)

    - https://launchpad.net/myconnpy (GPL)

    The second one is an "official" Oracle project. Both of them support
    python 3 as well.

    --
    regards,
    kushal