Re: Vote tallying...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jan 19, 2013.

  1. On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Kushal Kumaran
    <> wrote:
    > Chris Angelico <> writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    >>> * MySQL's development has suffered under Sun, and become virtually
    >>> moribund under Oracle. They operate as a closed shop, occasionally
    >>> tossing GPL-licensed releases over the wall, with very little input
    >>> accepted from the community.

    >> I don't know whether it's a legit concern or pure FUD, but it's been
    >> suggested that since the MySQL license is GPL and not LGPL, any code
    >> that links against it is forced to be GPL too. I'm not sure how far
    >> that goes (eg if you're using it from Python, at what point does it
    >> stop being "code linked to GPL code" and start being a discrete
    >> system), and IANAL, but I prefer to work with systems with more
    >> freedom in their licensing. PostgreSQL is under a BSD-like license, so
    >> it can be used without issues.
    >>

    > Oracle have a page about this:
    > http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

    Thanks, I was working from memory and wasn't sure. So yes, it's a
    fully legit issue, and it basically means you can't use MySQL with any
    proprietary code.

    So if I create a thin wrapper around libmysql, release that wrapper
    under the BSD 2-clause license (which is listed among the valid
    licenses - at least, I'm guessing that they mean the 2-clause), and
    then use that wrapper in a proprietary project, is that valid? This is
    getting ridiculously messy, and I'm definitely glad now not using
    MySQL at work.

    > As far as python goes, there are at least two pure-python
    > implementations of the mysql protocol available:
    >
    > - https://github.com/petehunt/PyMySQL (MIT license)

    That should be perfectly legal then. You're not linking against any
    GPL'd code, you're just connecting via a TCP socket to a GPL
    application. Really, I don't see what GPLing the client library
    achieves, other than creating a mess for people.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Jan 19, 2013