Re: Vote tallying...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Jan 19, 2013.

  1. On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:58:17 +1100, Lie Ryan <>

    > That is not quite true. With most client libraries, including MySQLdb,
    > connection to localhost goes through a local unix socket (or named pipe
    > in Windows) instead of the TCP stack.

    Named pipe is only available is MySQL was configured to use one.
    Named pipes are only available on the NT-derived Windows OS (which is
    likely all still running) -- MySQL could be run on W9x without named
    pipes, and even on WinXP my installation does not activate named pipes.

    > Which is the same restriction as when using XML/JSON. What it means by
    > locking the entire database is that an sqlite database can only be
    > read/written by a single program at any moment in time. For batch

    Actually, SQLite3 will happily permit multiple readers (or did, the
    newest version may have a new locking scheme). However, the first
    connection that seeks to write will block as long as open readers are
    active, yet will also block /new/ readers. When the open readers close,
    the write can complete, and then new readers can enter. Conclusion:
    ensure that even read-only operations have a "commit" operation to close
    them
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/