Re: w3 validation

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. "AC" <> wrote:

    > 1.. Line 17, column 19: there is no attribute "BORDERCOLOR"
    > (explain...).

    .... and other excerpts from a validator's output, without specifying
    the input, and with no question asked.

    If you don't know what validation really is, it won't be of much use to
    you, and could even be waste of time. Validation is simply a way of
    getting reports about complying with some formal rules. What would you
    do with the results if you don't know those rules? More info:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

    You real problem is that you are using old-fashioned, more or less
    browser-specific tag soup, not HTML as defined in published
    specifications. A good tutorial on modern Web authoring is what you
    need.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Jukka K. Korpela

    rf Guest

    "AC" <> wrote in message
    > this was accidently posted. I didn't want to post this without any

    questions
    > asked.
    > I am using 2 attributes with are not standard
    > TABLE BORDERCOLOR and
    > TABLE BACKGROUND
    >
    > If there is a way to do the same with W3 HTML 4.01, I will use this.

    There is not. You use CSS for these things.

    mytable
    {
    border: solid 1px green;
    background-image: url(whatever.jpg);
    }

    http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_background-image.asp will give you a short
    inconcise and incomplete overview of what properties are available in CSS.

    The more complete document http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ is where it is all
    defined and should be your eventual goal.

    Cheers
    Richadr.

    rf, Jul 31, 2003