Re: W3C Validator Errors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andy Dingley, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 29 Mar, 16:08, wayne <> wrote:
    > I have several websites and have a validator issue.

    Validation issue, not validator.

    Every so often someone reports that the W3C validator isn't working.
    It is, believe me. It'll be your code at fault.

    This even still applies if you're Finnish. We all make mistakes, a
    freshly edited page is _far_ more likely to have an error than a
    massively used validator with an awful lot of eyeballs staring very
    hard at its judgements.

    > the generated html was <script type="text/javascript" src=scrpt.js"></script>

    You've just served me this:

    //<![CDATA[

    So lose the language attribute and get a type-"text/javascript" in
    there instead.

    You're also using XHTML rather than HTML, which is usually a bad idea
    and is certainly a bad idea unless you _know_ a damn good reason as to
    why you're doing it. ...and this is also a valid reason.

    Secondly your XHTML has an XML prolog at the top of it. <?xml ... ?>
    This is _always_ a bad idea on the web. It breaks a bunch of things
    and you never need it.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 29, 2009

  2. wayne wrote:

    > When I open the page,

    Which page?

    > right click on the page and chose "view Source"
    > this is what I see in Firefox:

    Firefox seems to do odd things to source code. Naughty boy.

    I, too, see those empty lines on Firefox, instead of the <script> element
    that appears in the real source.

    > <script src="bannerscript.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

    I have no idea where that might come from. I see nothing of the kind.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 29, 2009

  3. Andy Dingley

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 29 Mar 2009, wayne <> wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> I, too, see those empty lines on Firefox, instead of the <script>
    >> element that appears in the real source.
    >>
    >>> <script src="bannerscript.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

    >> I have no idea where that might come from. I see nothing of the
    >> kind.
    >>

    > That script is in the template. The script you are seeing in the
    > "real source" is what is generated by the cms.
    >
    > The banner.js was added today to test changing logos for another
    > site.

    It's based on cookies; something in your server-side or cms is or is
    not including that bit of text depending on some state of cookies I
    can't specifically determine, but it might help you check the markup.

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

    Neredbojias, Mar 30, 2009