Re: W3WP at 100% CPU

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jason Bailey, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Jason Bailey

    Jason Bailey Guest

    This type of issue really takes being there at the console to track down
    the cause. First places to look:

    1) Any loops in your code that do not use the foreach() construct. Is
    there an infinite loop problem?

    2) Does the page consistently take 15-20 seconds to come up on each
    view? If so, what is the page doing during this time? Are you
    performing "expensive" parsing of strings, XML, serializing datasets, etc.?

    3) If the slowness happens intermittently, when does it seem to happen
    most often? During peak usage? Are there resource contention issues
    between pages trying to read/write to the same data on the drive?

    4) Are you performing XSLT transformations on the web server that are
    transforming large sets of XML? This recursion can appear like an
    infinite loop problem but ultimately the server recovers after the XSLT
    completes.

    5) Are you performing any sort of resource intensive encrypts/decrypts
    of data on the server?

    6) If the above fails to reveal the problem, you might try wiring up
    WMI in your ASP.NET page to write instrumentation data to a logfile so
    you can capture which method call is consistently causing the CPU spike.
    That will give you a great place to look but takes the up front time
    to set this up and roll to production. In some shops, that process can
    be more arduous than chasing down the issue ad hoc in prod when the
    problem occurs.

    Hope this helps.

    Jason

    Jason Bailey, Sep 22, 2004