Re: Want to add dictionary keys to namespace?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Otten, Nov 10, 2012.

  1. Peter Otten

    Peter Otten Guest

    Jeff Jeffries wrote:

    > Smart people, Is there a way I can add a dictionaries keys to the python
    > namespace? It would just be temporary as I am working with a large
    > dictionary, and it would speed up work using an IDE. I look and find
    > nothing... none of the keys have spaces and none are common names within
    > the module.
    >
    > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2597278/python-load-variables-in-a-

    dict-into-namespace

    > I do this:
    >
    > #Do this?
    > dictionary = {"AppleSeed": None, "Has": None,"Horrible" :None,"Art"}
    > for key in dictionary.keys():
    > eval("%s=None"%key)
    >
    > #or do this?
    > locals().update(dictionary)
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You could instead use a dict subclass that lets you access values as
    attributes:

    >>> class Dict(dict):

    .... def __getattr__(self, name):
    .... return self[name]
    .... def __setattr__(self, name, value):
    .... self[name] = value
    >>> d = Dict({"AppleSeed": None, "Has": None, "Horrible" : None, "Art": 42})
    >>> d.Art

    42
    >>> d.AppleSeed
    >>> d.AppleSeed = "spam"
    >>> d

    {'Has': None, 'Art': 42, 'AppleSeed': 'spam', 'Horrible': None}

    Peter Otten, Nov 10, 2012