Re: <wbr /> won't validate

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard Barnet, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. "Darin McGrew" <> wrote in message

    > No public spec (HTML or XHTML) includes the WBR element.
    >
    > In theory, browsers are supposed to wrap text only at whitespace.

    Thus, the
    > non-breaking space (&nbsp;) is all that is needed.
    >
    > In practice, browsers wrap text elsewhere, and controlling text

    wrapping
    > becomes more complex.

    Having tested it, I'm sad to say that only Mozilla and IE support this
    tag, but Opera doesn't. (I mean, HOORAY for sticking to the specs!)
    =)

    I'm not trying to change the way whitespace is used, I'm trying to allow
    browsers to break at syllables in the middle of long words. It's an
    accessibility thing with largefonts.

    My menus get really ugly with huge fonts and tight places when the words
    to the menu, it will look fine with all font sizes, even when a user
    uses huge fonts.

    I'm just wondering now if I should scrap the validation stuff in favor
    of accessibility. Hmmm.

    -- Richard
    Richard Barnet, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Richard Barnet wrote:

    > I'm just wondering now if I should scrap the validation stuff in favor
    > of accessibility. Hmmm.

    that road lies madness - you will never know if invalid markup is accessible
    to your visitors. take a step back and see if there's any simple changes
    you can make to the design that will accommodate your needs.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jul 25, 2003

  3. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:46:17 -0700, "Richard Barnet"
    <> wrote:

    >My menus get really ugly with huge fonts and tight places when the words
    >to the menu, it will look fine with all font sizes, even when a user
    >uses huge fonts.

    Jukka has a nice page on this problem of word breaks:

    <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest>

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis