Re: Web forum (made by python)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jp Calderone, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Jp Calderone

    Jp Calderone Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:30:03 -0600, Doug Holton <> wrote:
    >Gezer Punta wrote:
    >
    > > hi all
    > > I am looking for a forum which was produced by python

    > If you want Zope-based, try Plone. But probably you don't.
    > I am not aware of any standard python CGI-based forum software, but I am
    > sure you could find one if you search sourceforge or google.
    >
    > I am surprised no one else already answered this for you. I guess your
    > question was too simple to challenge the large egos here.

    Part of fostering a friendly environment on python-list is not making
    comments like these.

    Hoping-it's-obviously-why'ly,

    Jp

    Jp Calderone, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Jp Calderone

    Doug Holton Guest

    Jp Calderone wrote:
    > Part of fostering a friendly environment on python-list is not making
    > comments like these.

    Another part is actually answering the content of a person's question
    like I did, instead of trolling and flaming, like Fredrik and others
    here are want to do.

    Doug Holton, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Jp Calderone

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Doug Holton wrote:
    > Jp Calderone wrote:
    >> Part of fostering a friendly environment on python-list is not making
    >> comments like these.

    > Another part is actually answering the content of a person's question
    > like I did, instead of trolling and flaming, like Fredrik and others
    > here are want to do.

    None of which in any way invalidates Jp's point...

    Cheers,
    -Peter

    P.S.: It's "wont", not "want".

    Peter Hansen, Dec 20, 2004
  4. Jp Calderone

    Doug Holton Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > None of which in any way invalidates Jp's point...

    Neither does it invalidate mine. What is up with the trollers today?
    They are out in force now that the holidays are here.

    Doug Holton, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Jp Calderone

    Alan Kennedy Guest

    [Doug Holton]
    > What is up with the trollers today?
    > They are out in force now that the holidays are here.

    Or because it's almost the shortest day of the year?

    I'm looking out my latitude-52°N office window at a pale sun that has
    barely made it above the horizon. Today will be less than 8 hours long,
    sunrise to sunset. It's cold, but fortunately quite bright: the days
    when the sun doesn't even poke through the clouds are the days that can
    be the most miserable.

    It's rumoured that at this time of year, at far northern latitudes, e.g.
    Sweden for example, people can go quite stir crazy from the inability to
    go outside or to see any daylight: cabin fever strikes. Tempers fray,
    fights start, especially if there is alcohol involved. And this from
    people who might normally be quite embarrassed to be seen behaving in
    such a fashion.

    And if you are dealing with a troll, confrontation is *not* the answer.
    What real trolls desire most is to fan the flames of disagreement, and
    generally cause people to not get along with each other. The only way to
    foil them is to ignore them: they'll soon move on to more fertile grounds.

    But I really don't think we've had any trolls in the NG lately, although
    perhaps one or two people have been *extremely* grumpy ;-)

    pining-for-the-tropics-ly y'rs,

    --
    alan kennedy
    email alan: http://xhaus.com/contact/alan

    Alan Kennedy, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Jp Calderone

    Nick Coghlan Guest

    Alan Kennedy wrote:
    > But I really don't think we've had any trolls in the NG lately, although
    > perhaps one or two people have been *extremely* grumpy ;-)

    Aye - one thing I've noticed on both py-dev and here, is that when people seem
    especially snippy, sarcastic or touchy, my best bet is to assume it's something
    in real life that's pissing them off, rather than anything I actually said.

    And that assumption usually turns out to be pretty close to the mark, and things
    return to being civil after a day or two.

    Cheers,
    Nick.

    P.S. I think this list may experience the problem more than py-dev, since the
    greater number of contributors increases the chances of at least one regular
    poster being in a bad mood at any given point in time. That's a subjective
    impression rather than a scientific fact, though :)

    --
    Nick Coghlan | | Brisbane, Australia
    http://boredomandlaziness.skystorm.net

    Nick Coghlan, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Nick Coghlan wrote:

    > Aye - one thing I've noticed on both py-dev and here, is that when people seem especially snippy,
    > sarcastic or touchy, my best bet is to assume it's something in real life that's pissing them off,
    > rather than anything I actually said.

    works both ways -- it can be something in your life that makes you read too
    much into things. instead of immediately playing the "drama pythonista" card,
    ask yourself if that thing you read really was a vicious attack by bunch of nasty
    trolls, or if, perhaps, you missed the point.

    inserting smileys at appropriate places can often help.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Jp Calderone

    Doug Holton Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:

    > ask yourself if that thing you read really was a vicious attack by bunch of nasty
    > trolls, or if, perhaps, you missed the point.

    You still do not even acknowledge your behavior then? If it is your
    wish that I never mention boo again, then I will not, even though you
    and not I are the one with a financial conflict of interest in the matter.

    Doug Holton, Dec 20, 2004