Re: Web Frameworks Excessive Complexity

Discussion in 'Python' started by rh, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. rh

    rh Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:41:42 +0300
    Andriy Kornatskyy <> wrote:

    > Cyclomatic (or conditional) complexity is a metric used to indicate
    > the complexity of a source code. Excessive complexity is something
    > that is beyond recommended level of 10 (threshold that points to the
    > fact the source code is too complex and refactoring is suggested).
    > Here is a list of web frameworks examined: bottle, cherrypy,
    > circuits, django, flask, pyramid, pysi, tornado, turbogears, web.py,
    > web2py and wheezy.web.
    >
    > You can read more here:
    >
    > http://mindref.blogspot.com/2012/11/python-web-excessive-complexity.html

    You are the author of wheezy.web right? Can't blame you for trying to
    market your product. The conclusions, or lack of, are meaningless to me.
    I have to get in and drive the car before I go all in and buy it.

    I'm looking at different technology right now on which to base a site.
    I tried pyramid and after install it consumed 92MB of disk. It seemed
    large and it turns out that it installed its own version of python.
    Seems more complex to me, yet another python on disk.

    Anyway if you're really serious about making a point that complexity
    matters you'll have to measure many more things than loc or cc.

    Did you look at the number of commits to the same file over time?
    Etc. Number of authors for same file? Etc., etc. Number of security
    fixes? There must be a correlation between complexity and insecurity.
    Maybe check for randomness of the code. Not sure how, maybe
    look for strange, non-idiomatic uses of the language.

    I'm no computer scientist and I'm sure there are volumes on all this.

    Then there's also the social side, how much discussion takes place
    about the software? Does more discussion mean more problems?
    More project vibrancy? You could check for vocab, etc.

    I'm gonna take a look at wheezy.web.

    rh, Nov 21, 2012