Re: webpage gallery bg colours

Discussion in 'HTML' started by basilisk, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. basilisk

    basilisk Guest

    "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >* polymer wrote :
    >>* Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking at redesigning a very simple webpage gallery to display photos.
    >>> Just curious about what the more experienced designers here think the
    >>> best bg colour is for this type of thing.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking either black or white would be the best. Some other colour
    >>> might affect the perception of the photo's white balance or something.

    >> Middle value neutral gray. Color clashes with absolutely nothing,
    >> and won't be too bright or dark for most photos. Many photographers
    >> and artists use it for their sites.

    > Bleh. Just trying to visualise that in my head and it looks
    > bland. I agree with what you're saying about it being /the/ most
    > neutral bg, though. Will try it. Thanks for the alternative.
    >
    > --
    > Troy Piggins

    My website has a similar color scheme, grayish background with a 3 px black
    border
    around the thumbs, I like the contrast.

    http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/gallery.html

    basilisk
    basilisk, Jan 20, 2009

  2. basilisk

    >* basilisk wrote :
    >>* Troy Piggins wrote :

    >>> Bleh. Just trying to visualise that in my head and it looks
    >>> bland. I agree with what you're saying about it being /the/ most
    >>> neutral bg, though. Will try it. Thanks for the alternative.

    >> My website has a similar color scheme, grayish background with
    >> a 3 px black border around the thumbs, I like the contrast.
    >>
    >> http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/gallery.html

    > I see, and the looks alright. But still when you click to the
    > larger images, you have a white bg. I intend to have a bg, some
    > EXIF info, and comments on the larger images too.
    >
    > I might go with a grey to be a little more neutral, but perhaps a
    > lighter one like yours.

    Your right, the larger image could be handled better, I need to work
    on that.

    Jukka's website has a lot of good information about galleries and
    and captioning, helped me a lot.

    sorry to lazy to look up the link.

    basilisk
    basilisk, Jan 20, 2009

  3. On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:29:52 -0600, basilisk wrote:

    > My website has a similar color scheme, grayish background with a 3 px black
    > border around the thumbs, I like the contrast.
    >
    > http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/gallery.html

    Interesting. I see no 3px border in konqueror - nor in Opera.
    Just in Firefox (and in wine/IE6.)

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 21, 2009
  4. basilisk

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1>,
    basilisk <> wrote:

    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:29:52 -0600, basilisk wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My website has a similar color scheme, grayish background with a 3 px
    > >> black border around the thumbs, I like the contrast.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/gallery.html

    > > Interesting. I see no 3px border in konqueror - nor in Opera.
    > > Just in Firefox (and in wine/IE6.)
    > >
    > > Jonesy

    > Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't checked it in Konqueror,
    > I also looked at my site in Epiphany and it is showing the borders,
    > anyone know the fix for this?

    Your HTML is unnecessarily complex and your thumbs are probably not all
    naturally the same size and you omit sizes in the img element (not a
    good idea). The way to simplify the html and css as far as the thumbnail
    mass is concerned is simply to enclose the floated divs in a wrapper and
    talk to them via the identification of:

    div#wrapper div {...}

    You don't need to class each float box...

    Here is the guts of your floats with borders showing, I have put 1px,
    you might want more? I would bet these will show in Konquerer:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/corgis.html>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 21, 2009
  5. basilisk

    Irina Rempt Guest

    On Wednesday 21 January 2009 03:46, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:29:52 -0600, basilisk wrote:
    >>
    >> My website has a similar color scheme, grayish background with a 3 px
    >> black border around the thumbs, I like the contrast.
    >>
    >> http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/gallery.html

    > Interesting. I see no 3px border in konqueror - nor in Opera.

    I do see a 3px border in konqueror; and the puppies are cute!

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
    Irina Rempt, Jan 21, 2009
  6. basilisk

    basilisk Guest

    Thanks,
    my skills and equipment have improved considerably since most of
    these pictures were taken, I hope to get the worst of them replaced soon.

    basilisk

    basilisk, Jan 21, 2009
  7. basilisk

    basilisk Guest

    "basilisk" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks,
    > my skills and equipment have improved considerably since most of
    > these pictures were taken, I hope to get the worst of them replaced soon.
    >
    > basilisk
    >
    > "Irina Rempt" <> wrote in message

    >>> Interesting. I see no 3px border in konqueror - nor in Opera.

    >> I do see a 3px border in konqueror; and the puppies are cute!
    >>
    >> Irina

    Oh damn, I top posted, forgive me wizards of html.
    Into exile I now must go.

    basilisk
    basilisk, Jan 21, 2009
  8. basilisk

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Jan 2009, "basilisk" <> wrote:

    > "basilisk" <> wrote in message
    > Oh damn, I top posted, forgive me wizards of html.
    > Into exile I now must go.
    >
    > basilisk

    Pshaw, exile isn't really necessary, basilisk. Just severe the
    pyramid-like thing at the top of your column and place a lithograph of
    it on your business stationery as a symbol of your faux pas.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Jan 21, 2009