Re: webpage gallery bg colours

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > Looking at redesigning a very simple webpage gallery to display photos.
    > Just curious about what the more experienced designers here think the best
    > bg colour is for this type of thing.
    >
    > I'm thinking either black or white would be the best. Some other colour
    > might affect the perception of the photo's white balance or something.

    A picture of what's behind pictures is worth a thousand words.

    http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/flora

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009

  2. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > * Blinky the Shark wrote :
    >>* Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking at redesigning a very simple webpage gallery to display photos.
    >>> Just curious about what the more experienced designers here think the
    >>> best bg colour is for this type of thing.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking either black or white would be the best. Some other
    >>> colour might affect the perception of the photo's white balance or
    >>> something.

    >> A picture of what's behind pictures is worth a thousand words.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/flora

    > Thanks mate. Some of those look familiar ;)

    This one's so new the ink is still wet. ;)

    http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/108328500

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009

  3. Blinky the Shark

    basilisk Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at redesigning a very simple webpage gallery to display photos.
    >> Just curious about what the more experienced designers here think the
    >> best
    >> bg colour is for this type of thing.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking either black or white would be the best. Some other colour
    >> might affect the perception of the photo's white balance or something.

    > A picture of what's behind pictures is worth a thousand words.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/flora

    I like this color scheme a lot and at one time had my background
    almost as dark, but it didn't work well with black fonts.
    might be time for a whole new design.

    basilisk

    basilisk, Jan 21, 2009
  4. Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    Troy Piggins wrote:

    > * Blinky the Shark wrote :
    >>* Troy Piggins wrote:

    >>> Thanks mate. Some of those look familiar ;)

    >> This one's so new the ink is still wet. ;)
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/image/108328500

    > Nice. You're using multiple flashes there? The lighting is looking nice.

    Left backlight; right front key; center front fill.

    > Got me some CyberSyncs over Christmas, so now 3 off-camera flashes ;)

    That'll be fun!

    Leave it to a bug shooter to get AlienBees gear. :)

    > Just gotta learn how to use 'em. I'm fine with E-TTL flash, but full
    > manual I'm still learning.

    I have four speedlights -- three Vivitars[1] and one Nikon. All have
    stands for tabletop work. The three Vivitars have Wein Peanut optical
    slave triggers; the Nikon can work off-camera and be triggered via IR. I
    have large sheets of foam-core for bouncing. All of my tabletop stuff is
    done completly manually. Those tulips represent my first session with my
    new 50mm f/1.8 prime.

    [1] http://blinkynet.net/stuff/photo/strobestands_final_vsmall.jpg

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009
  5. basilisk wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking at redesigning a very simple webpage gallery to display photos.
    >>> Just curious about what the more experienced designers here think the
    >>> best
    >>> bg colour is for this type of thing.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking either black or white would be the best. Some other
    >>> colour might affect the perception of the photo's white balance or
    >>> something.

    >> A picture of what's behind pictures is worth a thousand words.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/flora
    >>

    > I like this color scheme a lot and at one time had my background almost as
    > dark, but it didn't work well with black fonts. might be time for a whole
    > new design.

    I also have this, at pbase:

    http://pbase.com/blinkytheshark/wssa

    It's not launched, yet. The color is keyed to the color of most of the
    subjects; i.e., read: a kinda squirrely color. :) Ditto the little site
    I tossed together for the group (its link is in first paragraph of the
    gallery text).

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009
  6. On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:58:01 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I also have this, at pbase:
    >
    > http://pbase.com/blinkytheshark/wssa

    Isn't that one a *prairie dog* ??

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 21, 2009
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> Just gotta learn how to use 'em. I'm fine with E-TTL flash, but
    >> full manual I'm still learning.

    > I have four speedlights -- three Vivitars[1] and one Nikon. All have
    > stands for tabletop work. The three Vivitars have Wein Peanut
    > optical slave triggers; the Nikon can work off-camera and be
    > triggered via IR. I have large sheets of foam-core for bouncing.
    > All of my tabletop stuff is done completly manually. Those tulips
    > represent my first session with my new 50mm f/1.8 prime.
    >
    > [1] http://blinkynet.net/stuff/photo/strobestands_final_vsmall.jpg

    If you're into phgy, I've been considering getting a d80 (camera). Yes
    - No?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Jan 21, 2009
  8. Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 21 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Just gotta learn how to use 'em. I'm fine with E-TTL flash, but full
    >>> manual I'm still learning.

    >> I have four speedlights -- three Vivitars[1] and one Nikon. All have
    >> stands for tabletop work. The three Vivitars have Wein Peanut optical
    >> slave triggers; the Nikon can work off-camera and be triggered via IR.
    >> I have large sheets of foam-core for bouncing. All of my tabletop stuff
    >> is done completly manually. Those tulips represent my first session
    >> with my new 50mm f/1.8 prime.
    >>
    >> [1] http://blinkynet.net/stuff/photo/strobestands_final_vsmall.jpg

    > If you're into phgy, I've been considering getting a d80 (camera). Yes -
    > No?

    Might as well get the follow-on, the D90.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009
  9. Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:58:01 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> I also have this, at pbase:
    >>
    >> http://pbase.com/blinkytheshark/wssa

    > Isn't that one a *prairie dog* ??

    The ones on that page? No, they are squirrels.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2009
  10. Blinky the Shark

    Bergamot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:58:01 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> I also have this, at pbase:
    >>>
    >>> http://pbase.com/blinkytheshark/wssa

    >> Isn't that one a *prairie dog* ??

    > The ones on that page? No, they are squirrels.

    The one on the top right does look a lot like a prairie dog.
    It's the ears.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 22, 2009
  11. Bergamot wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> Isn't that one a *prairie dog* ??

    >> The ones on that page? No, they are squirrels.

    > The one on the top right does look a lot like a prairie dog. It's the
    > ears.

    I ask again. On that page?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2009
  12. Blinky the Shark

    Bergamot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> The ones on that page? No, they are squirrels.

    >> The one on the top right does look a lot like a prairie dog. It's the
    >> ears.

    > I ask again. On that page?

    The one that looked like a prairie dog to me was from the 2008 photos
    you had on that page earlier. It's gone now.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 22, 2009
  13. Bergamot wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Bergamot wrote:

    >>> The one on the top right does look a lot like a prairie dog. It's the
    >>> ears.

    >> I ask again. On that page?

    > The one that looked like a prairie dog to me was from the 2008 photos you
    > had on that page earlier. It's gone now.

    Right -- another page, not the one linked above, that your language would
    appear you were addressing. That's why I kept asking for clarification.

    Yes, what you saw were placeholders until I got real image entries, which
    happened today. The note above the images, when you saw them, said that
    those were just placeholders. Not necessarily valid submissions. I don't
    know if the Head Squirrel accepted that image or not; perhaps he gave it a
    "close enough"; perhaps he rejected it. Perhaps it was a critter that is
    in the same toxonomic group as the tree squirrels we think of when we say
    "squrrel", as are some ground *squirrels*.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2009
  14. Blinky the Shark

    Bergamot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >
    >> The one that looked like a prairie dog to me was from the 2008 photos you
    >> had on that page earlier. It's gone now.

    > Perhaps it was a critter that is
    > in the same toxonomic group as the tree squirrels we think of when we say
    > "squrrel", as are some ground *squirrels*.

    I said it *looked* like a prairie dog, but that doesn't mean it was one.
    I was merely agreeing with the other poster who first made the prairie
    dog comment. Looks can be deceiving. I know of a species of ground
    squirrel that is easily mistaken for a chipmunk. So there you go. :)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 22, 2009
  15. Blinky the Shark

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    On 21 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> If you're into phgy, I've been considering getting a d80 (camera).
    >> Yes - No?

    > Might as well get the follow-on, the D90.

    Well, 90 is my unlucky number. What do you use?

    Neredbojias, Jan 23, 2009
  16. Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 21 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> If you're into phgy, I've been considering getting a d80 (camera). Yes
    >>> - No?

    >> Might as well get the follow-on, the D90.

    > Well, 90 is my unlucky number. What do you use?

    D90 and D60.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2009
  17. Blinky the Shark

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Might as well get the follow-on, the D90.

    >> Well, 90 is my unlucky number. What do you use?

    > D90 and D60.

    I did some checking. You're right; the d90 is more of a camera than
    the d80; unfortunately, it is considerably more expensive. Being cheap
    at heart, I think I'll wait and, uh, see if they come out with a d85 or
    something.

    Neredbojias, Jan 23, 2009
  18. Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 23 Jan 2009, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Well, 90 is my unlucky number. What do you use?

    >> D90 and D60.

    > I did some checking. You're right; the d90 is more of a camera than the
    > d80; unfortunately, it is considerably more expensive. Being cheap at
    > heart, I think I'll wait and, uh, see if they come out with a d85 or
    > something.

    By then, you'll just want something cheaper than the new D85, and will
    still be frozen.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2009
  19. Blinky the Shark

    William Gill Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > I did some checking. You're right; the d90 is more of a camera than
    > the d80; unfortunately, it is considerably more expensive. Being cheap
    > at heart, I think I'll wait and, uh, see if they come out with a d85 or
    > something.

    I recently got back into semi-serious photography and couldn't justify
    the price of the gear I wanted, but found the Sony a series much more to
    my liking than the Nikon. It is a nice entry level camera comparable to
    the D40 / D80 but doesn't feel like plastic. I'm told that Sony holds
    the patents on most DSLR technology, so the others have to pay royalties
    driving their prices up. That may be bull, but give the Sonys a look.

    William Gill, Jan 24, 2009
  20. Re: [OT] flashes (Was: webpage gallery bg colours)

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Might as well get the follow-on, the D90.

    >> Well, 90 is my unlucky number. What do you use?

    > D90 and D60.

    I still use a Canon 10D - superceded by 20,30 and 50D. It's not the
    equipment that limits my photography! I quote What The Duck comic
    strip :-
    "Your camera makes nice photographs"
    "Your mouth makes nice compliments"

    Still trying after all these years :cool:
    Phil

    --
    Phil & Val Kempster
    http://kempster.info