Re: What are pros and cons of STL ?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike Wahler, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Mike Wahler

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote in message
    > ajay wrote:
    > > Is STL slower(if yes why?)

    "Slower" than what?

    The 'STL' (by which I'm assuming you mean the C++
    standard library), has no 'speed' at all. It's
    merely a specification of required behavior. An
    'abstraction'.

    Actual implementations are what will be 'fast' or
    'slow'. The only way to determine this 'speed' is
    to measure. Note that different implementations will
    very likely show different performance.

    >? Is STL Overhead(if yes why?) ?

    Does it have 'overhead'? Of course. How could it not?

    > None of my favorite OOPL has a notion of STL.

    'STL' is not an OOP concept. It's an (obsolete) term
    referring to the container/iterator/algorithm parts
    of the C++ standard library. I.e. it's a language-
    specific concept, not a OO one.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 14, 2003

  2. ajay wrote:
    > Is STL slower(if yes why?)? Is STL Overhead(if yes why?) ?

    None of my favorite OOPL has a notion of STL.

    This is a C++ specific question. Please post on c.l.c++.
    (xposted, and fu2 positionned.)

    Bruno
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 14, 2003