Re: what gui designer is everyone using

Discussion in 'Python' started by parkerdg@gmail.com, Jun 5, 2012.

  1. Guest

    On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:10:17 AM UTC-4, Manatee wrote:
    > I want a gui designer that writes the gui code for me. I don't want to
    > write gui code. what is the gui designer that is most popular?
    > I tried boa-constructor, and it works, but I am concerned about how
    > dated it seems to be with no updates in over six years.

    On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:10:17 AM UTC-4, Manatee wrote:
    > I want a gui designer that writes the gui code for me. I don't want to
    > write gui code. what is the gui designer that is most popular?
    > I tried boa-constructor, and it works, but I am concerned about how
    > dated it seems to be with no updates in over six years.

    On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:10:17 AM UTC-4, Manatee wrote:
    > I want a gui designer that writes the gui code for me. I don't want to
    > write gui code. what is the gui designer that is most popular?
    > I tried boa-constructor, and it works, but I am concerned about how
    > dated it seems to be with no updates in over six years.

    I've used XRCed with wxpython in the past. XRCed is bundled with the wxPython installation. It was very easy to layout the GUI objects and setup the generic event bindings.

    Recently I've been playing around with using PyQt and QtDesigner because I keep seeing it highly recommened. The capabilities and process seem very similar to using XRCed to me.

    These are simply GUI designers not IDE's. The basic process for using both is:
    * Layout the GUI objects, define generic event bindings (wx) or signals/slots (Qt).
    * Save the GUI layout XML.
    * Auto-generate a generic Python module that defines the GUI object based on the XML.
    * Import the and inherit from the generic Python GUI. Override the GUI class and methods as needed.
    * Write a script or a main function that instantiates the GUI and starts the event loop.

    I'm biased toward wxPython and XRCed mostly because I've had more experience with it and the documentation seems easier to follow.
    , Jun 5, 2012