Re: What is the best framework or module in Python for a small GUIbased application development?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mike Driscoll, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. On Apr 22, 8:11 am, srinivasan srinivas <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Could you suggest me some modules in Python which can be used to develop GUI based applications? and tell me which could be the best(in terms of efficiency) one for a small GUI based application development?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Srini

    See the Python Wiki: http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

    Python comes with Tkinter, which is good for simple programs and some
    of the people on this list use it for very complicated programs. I
    like wxPython. There are many others as well. It really depends on
    what you want to do and whether or not you need special widgets.

    - Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Apr 22, 2009

  2. Thanks for the info.
    My requirement is to write an application which is GUI based has to run on browsers. Could you tell me which one would be suitable for this?

    Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Yahoo! Edition http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/firefox/

    srinivasan srinivas, Apr 22, 2009

  3. Re: What is the best framework or module in Python for a small GUI based application development?

    srinivasan srinivas wrote:

    > Thanks for the info.
    > My requirement is to write an application which is GUI based has to run on
    > browsers. Could you tell me which one would be suitable for this?

    There is no GUI-framework on browsers. There is HTML/CSS + JS, which is
    produced by servers that can be implemented from raw CGI to the ZOPE
    apps-server. Google for python web frameworks.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 22, 2009
  4. Mike Driscoll

    Tim Chase Guest

    > My requirement is to write an application which is GUI based
    > has to run on browsers. Could you tell me which one would be
    > suitable for this?

    These are generally 2 different things: either you're writing a
    local GUI rich-client (in which case, use the GuiProgramming wiki
    link Mike sent), or you're doing web development targeting
    browsers in which case you should investigate the myriad web
    programming frameworks for Python (Django, Turbogears, CheryPy,
    web.py, webstack, etc).

    There's a third "type" of application that I abhor, usually
    developed in Flash/Silverblight/JavaFX that runs within a
    web-browser, but allows for richer interactions/rendering than
    your average web-page. However, I don't know of any python
    tie-ins for any of these environments.

    There's also a blurred line if you embed a web-browser in a local
    GUI application.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Apr 22, 2009
  5. On Apr 22, 10:51 am, Tim Chase <> wrote:
    > > My requirement is to write an application which is GUI based
    > > has to run on browsers. Could you tell me which one would be
    > > suitable for this?

    > These are generally 2 different things:  either you're writing a
    > local GUI rich-client (in which case, use the GuiProgramming wiki
    > link Mike sent), or you're doing web development targeting
    > browsers in which case you should investigate the myriad web
    > programming frameworks for Python (Django, Turbogears, CheryPy,
    > web.py, webstack, etc).
    >
    > There's a third "type" of application that I abhor, usually
    > developed in Flash/Silverblight/JavaFX that runs within a
    > web-browser, but allows for richer interactions/rendering than
    > your average web-page.  However, I don't know of any python
    > tie-ins for any of these environments.
    >
    > There's also a blurred line if you embed a web-browser in a local
    > GUI application.
    >
    > -tkc

    Technically speaking, Silverlight can be run with IronPython...which
    works on Windows and Linux (through Mono), but not Mac (as far as I
    know).

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Apr 22, 2009
  6. Mike Driscoll