Re: what is the difference between the vb dot net and asp dot net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Aug 10, 2009.

  1. VB.NET is a programming language that uses the .NET framework and runtime
    when compiled. ASP.NET is a subset of the classes in the .NET framework that
    are used in developing web applications. ASP.NET is not really a language,
    it is a subset of the classes in the .NET framework. If you look closely at
    the codebehind files of ASP.NET pages, controls, or other things you can
    create with ASP.NET, you will notice that they are actually just .NET
    classes written using VB.NET, C#, or whatever .NET language you chose to
    use. The *.aspx, *.ascx, and other files that include html and/or directives
    are merged with the associated codebehind file into a single class during
    runtime (for example, the files index.aspx, index.aspx.vb, and
    index.aspx.designer.vb would all be compiled into one class during runtime).
    So to put it simply, an ASP.NET web application is just, in a way, a program
    written in .NET. Hopefully this helps clear things up, if you need more
    detail I would do a search online.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 10, 2009

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest

    Please excuse me for junping in.

    What is this: index.aspx.designer.vb

    I remember designer files from windows development but I haven't seen them
    during web development.

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Aug 13, 2009

  3. It is basically just an auto-generated partial class that has the
    declarations for all the controls in the Page. If you look at the file, it
    should be pretty self-explanatory. There are also designer files for a
    couple other types of files such as UserControls (*.ascx).

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 13, 2009
  4. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest

    I didn't ask very well. I've seen them often with windows development but
    wonder why I don't see them with web development and you do.

    Do you have one as well as an aspx file?

    Thank

    AAaron123, Aug 13, 2009
  5. Yes, every Page has 3 files associated with it:

    *.aspx
    *.aspx.vb
    *.aspx.designer.vb

    When you attempt to build your project does it work? If not, what error
    message does it give you? If you are not seeing the files, try setting
    Solution Explorer to show all files. The designer file should be generated
    automatically. Good Luck!

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 13, 2009
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest

    Are website projects different?

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Aug 13, 2009
  7. When you create a new project, are you selecting Website or Web Application?

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 13, 2009
  8. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest

    web site
    I don't know what a web application is

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Aug 13, 2009
  9. Take a look at this link:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx

    I would also strongly recommend using Web Applications over Websites, in
    comparison of the two, I think Web Applications are much better and more
    efficient.

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 13, 2009
  10. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest

    Thank you.
    Unless there is a programmatically way to convert my web site I guess I'll
    have to stick to it.
    To big to try to do it manually.

    Next time I'll know.

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Aug 14, 2009
  11. re:
    !> Unless there is a programmatically way to convert my web site

    Scott Guthrie published a detailed tutorial regarding how to do that :

    http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx

    Also, see :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa983476(VS.80).aspx

    For converting a VS 2008 web site to web application project, see :

    http://weblogs.asp.net/meligy/archive/2008/08/03/converting-vs-2008-website-to-web-application.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    ¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
    Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
    http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 14, 2009
  12. Nathan Sokalski

    AAaron123 Guest