Re: What is XML - and ....

Discussion in 'XML' started by mike myers, Aug 8, 2012.

  1. mike myers

    mike myers Guest

    On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:23:51 AM UTC+1, Michael Joel wrote:
    > Ok. I am not an expert on and language but I get by decent enough on
    >
    > javascript, PHP (and mySQL), VB (which has nothing to do with this), I
    >
    > can do perl if I have to... But I do not have a clear understanding of
    >
    > what XML is.
    >

    > It appears to be a simple mark up language yet, from what I see, the
    >
    > mark up looks like it is whatever is wanted. I mean it looks like you
    >
    > make up your own tags. Is that basically what it is, some form of
    >
    > customer "html"? - but I imagine that you need something that describes
    >
    > what the tags do.
    >

    > How does one implement XML?
    >
    > What is it used for?
    >

    > Also (not as important)...
    >
    > I have a large XML file (KJV of The Bible) it has a lot of data in it.
    >
    > I need to breaking up for use in a mySQL database. My initial idea would
    >
    > be to us VB to work on the tags. But I thought there might already be
    >
    > something out there that would let me define how to handle tags (such as
    >
    > I want some tags gone, I have no need for them) and I want the XML split
    >
    > in certain ways. I would like some of the tags attributes (I do not know
    >
    > what else to call them) shortened to only the needed ones for my purpose)....
    >

    > So is it best just to write some VB or is there something like that?

    As you said, xml is a markup language, its original purpose was to allow webpages to be displayed in a set way regardless of the brower being used, inmuch the same way you can use xml to transport data caross systems and to be able to read that data independant of the platform or tied to any system..

    You may find this short tutorial on xml useful,

    http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xml.aspx

    Also if you are going to be working with vb, take a look at liquid xml studio and its code gen function which will spit out vb, c# and c++ code based on your xml or schema.

    http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xmldatabinding/xml-schema-to-vb.aspx
    mike myers, Aug 8, 2012