    From: "Robert Kern" <>
    Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:20:54 -0500
    Subject: Re: What license/copyright text to include and where to include
    it when selling a commercial Python based application?

    On 2010-04-12 17:02 PM, Malcolm Greene wrote:
    > Looking for advice on what Python license and copyright text to
    > include and where to include it when selling a commercial
    > (Windows based) Python based application.

    The requirement is fairly broad; there are a number of things you could
    do to
    satisfy the requirement. Largely, it's up to you as long as the full
    license
    text is accessible somewhere. I will provide personal, entirely
    unofficial
    recommendations below, though.

    > By license text and copyrights I am refering to the text on this
    > page:
    >
    > PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE VERSION 2
    > http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/license/
    >
    > By "where to include it" I mean:
    >
    > 1. What Python license text/copyright text should I place in our
    > printed user manual?

    The whole license and history text, parts A and B.

    > 2. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > our online documentation?

    The whole thing.

    > 3. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > product's license text file?

    Have a licenses\ directory with a LICENSE_Python.txt containing the
    whole
    license text. Have other LICENSE_<foo>.txt files for any other
    third-party
    libraries you use, like the GUI toolkit.

    > 4. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
    > application's splash screen and about dialog boxes?

    Link to the part of the online documentation that lists the third-party
    software
    that you use.

    --
    Robert Kern

    enigma
    that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though
    it had
    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    , Apr 14, 2010