Re: What people are using to access this mailing list

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jed Smith, Nov 3, 2010.

  1. Jed Smith

    Jed Smith Guest

    On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM, John Bond <> wrote:
    > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
    > of following this and other lists.

    I have to second (or third) the Gmail suggestion. I use Google Apps
    against my domain, and the Gmail interface is frightfully good at
    creating filters. For example, on most lists (particularly Mailman), I
    can hit "Filter messages like this", and Gmail automatically harvests
    the List header and writes a filter for it.

    I just prefer the Gmail philosophy to mail, with tags that are *like*
    folders but not really.

    --
    Jed Smith

    Jed Smith, Nov 3, 2010

  2. Jed Smith

    QoS Guest

    Jed Smith <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM, John Bond <> wrote:
    > > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
    > > of following this and other lists.

    > I have to second (or third) the Gmail suggestion. I use Google Apps
    > against my domain, and the Gmail interface is frightfully good at
    > creating filters. For example, on most lists (particularly Mailman), I
    > can hit "Filter messages like this", and Gmail automatically harvests
    > the List header and writes a filter for it.
    >
    > I just prefer the Gmail philosophy to mail, with tags that are *like*
    > folders but not really.

    If that is what you used to post this reply then your client is broken somewhat.

    Your client did not post using a well-formed references header and so your
    post may/should not be grouped properly with the OP.

    Here is what your client determined the references to be, you will se it has
    no reference to the original posting.

    Below is a reply from someone using a well crafted client, this reply is certain to be
    organized by other clients in the same thread:

    Hth

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010

  3. Jed Smith

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010
  4. Jed Smith

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010
  5. Jed Smith

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010
  6. Jed Smith

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010
  7. Jed Smith

    QoS Guest

    Jed Smith <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM, John Bond <> wrote:
    > > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
    > > of following this and other lists.

    > I have to second (or third) the Gmail suggestion. I use Google Apps
    > against my domain, and the Gmail interface is frightfully good at
    > creating filters. For example, on most lists (particularly Mailman), I
    > can hit "Filter messages like this", and Gmail automatically harvests
    > the List header and writes a filter for it.
    >
    > I just prefer the Gmail philosophy to mail, with tags that are *like*
    > folders but not really.

    Just in case the client may not display the headers, fyi:

    If gmail is what you used to post this reply then your client is broken somewhat.

    QoS, Nov 4, 2010
  8. Jed Smith

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 11/03/10 20:41, QoS wrote:
    > Jed Smith<> wrote
    >> I just prefer the Gmail philosophy to mail, with tags that are *like*
    >> folders but not really.

    > If that is what you used to post this reply then your client is broken somewhat.

    I'm not sure I'd go casting aspersions on other peoples
    broken-clients when your own client seems to have sent 6
    nearly-identical copies of the same message to the newsgroup.
    None of which appeared (at least in Thunderbird-as-NNTP-reader)
    as followups to Jed's message, but rather as follow-ups to the
    OP's initial post.

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Nov 4, 2010
  9. On 2010-11-04, QoS <> wrote:
    > Jed Smith <> wrote in message-id: <>

    >> I just prefer the Gmail philosophy to mail, with tags that are *like*
    >> folders but not really.

    > Just in case the client may not display the headers, fyi:
    >
    > If gmail is what you used to post this reply then your client is
    > broken somewhat.
    >
    > Your client did not post using a well-formed references header and so
    > your post may/should not be grouped properly with the OP.

    I prefer that over posting 8 duplicate messages like your client did.

    :)

    --
    Grant

    Grant Edwards, Nov 4, 2010