Re: What text editor is everyone using for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by J Kenneth King, May 25, 2009.

  1. LittleGrasshopper <> writes:

    > With so many choices, I was wondering what editor is the one you
    > prefer when coding Python, and why. I normally use vi, and just got
    > into Python, so I am looking for suitable syntax files for it, and
    > extra utilities. I dabbled with emacs at some point, but couldn't get
    > through the key bindings for commands. I've never tried emacs with vi
    > keybindings (I forgot the name of it) but I've been tempted.
    >
    > So what do you guys use, and why? Hopefully we can keep this civil.

    Google should provide you with millions of responses.

    J Kenneth King, May 25, 2009

  2. In message <35e44e77-fdd1-470a-b5ad-
    >, LittleGrasshopper wrote:

    > On May 25, 10:44 am, J Kenneth King <> wrote:
    >> LittleGrasshopper <> writes:

    >> Google should provide you with millions of responses.

    > I know Google (as a matter I read this group from Google.) I was
    > hoping for some new insightful responses.

    A wise man once said to me "go read the Internet".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 26, 2009

  3. J Kenneth King

    Lacrima Guest

    I am new to python.
    And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    Lacrima, May 26, 2009
  4. Lacrima <> writes:

    > I am new to python.
    > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    That is a slightly better question.

    Try some of the free alternatives. I do happen to use emacs. It took
    me quite a lot of adjusting to get used to it after being a vim user
    for almost ten years. Doesn't cost anything to give one a shot and
    see if it works for you. The choice of editor is a personal one
    (hence the reluctance to answer your original question).

    J Kenneth King, May 26, 2009
  5. Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ? I don't get it.
    Anyway gvim (aka vim aka vi) and emacs are the most powerful editors for
    years. Both have Windows and Linux version and most important, they both
    are very effective at editing any file type (python, C, latex, love
    letters...)
    Emacs is more accessible to the newby but requires time to master its
    complex features.
    Gvim may be complex for the newby due to its command/insertion mode
    constant switch, but is as powerful as emacs can be. Being a gvim adept,
    I should stat that gvim is far better but it would only feed the
    neverending war.

    Jean-Michel

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, May 26, 2009
  6. J Kenneth King

    Ken Seehart Guest

    Lacrima wrote:
    > I am new to python.
    > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    It's my favorite. Buy it. I'm not aware of any better choices.

    If you can afford the Pro version buy that, especially if you are
    planning any large projects. But take a peek at the feature list before
    making that decision: http://www.wingware.com/wingide/features . Some
    of my favorite Pro features are test suite support, advanced debugging,
    and code folding. The debugger is way more powerful in the Pro version.

    Of course, favorites are ultimately determined by religious preference.

    Ken

    Ken Seehart, May 26, 2009
  7. J Kenneth King

    David Smith Guest

    Lacrima wrote:
    > I am new to python.
    > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    I use Wing IDE and like it. It very nicely enforces consistent space
    indentations and other Python basics that might fall through the cracks
    when writing. I'm not too hot on the auto-suggest, but I haven't seen
    any other IDE do better.

    --David

    David Smith, May 26, 2009
  8. J Kenneth King

    Ken Seehart Guest

    Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
    > Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ? I don't get it.
    > Anyway gvim (aka vim aka vi) and emacs are the most powerful editors
    > for years. Both have Windows and Linux version and most important,
    > they both are very effective at editing any file type (python, C,
    > latex, love letters...)
    > Emacs is more accessible to the newby but requires time to master its
    > complex features.
    > Gvim may be complex for the newby due to its command/insertion mode
    > constant switch, but is as powerful as emacs can be. Being a gvim
    > adept, I should stat that gvim is far better but it would only feed
    > the neverending war.
    >
    > Jean-Michel

    I've heard notepad is pretty good. http://www.notepad.org/

    :) Ken

    Ken Seehart, May 26, 2009
  9. Ken Seehart writes:

    | Lacrima wrote:
    | > I am new to python.
    | > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    | > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    | > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?
    | >

    | I've heard notepad is pretty good. http://www.notepad.org/
    |
    | :) Ken

    Seriously. I actually know a programmer who does all of his work in
    notepad: no macros, syntax-highlighting, or any other robust features,
    plus that horrible font.

    I use emacs. No alternative presentation rivals, for me, the ability
    to program your editor while you use it. Never having to reach for
    the mouse in emacs is a terrific (and optional) bonus.

    I guess it depends on how you work. If you're willing to invest a
    fair amount of time in your editor and you like the idea of being able
    to drastically modify your editor while you use it, you should
    consider emacs. Emacs has a good on-line help system, including a
    friendly emacs lisp introduction. If you're using a Mac, check out
    Aquamacs Emacs.

    I can't say a thing about other editors, except that when some shell
    script perversely dumped me into vi a month ago, I felt as horrified
    as if some actually living bugs had crawled out of my own reflection
    on the computer screen and fallen, clicking and scraping, onto the
    keyboard. That's a personal reaction - totally irrelevant, of course.

    Bar

    Bar Shirtcliff, May 26, 2009
  10. J Kenneth King

    Dave Angel Guest

    Lacrima wrote:
    >> I am new to python.
    >> And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    >> But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    >> So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    I'm a little surprised nobody has explicitly mentioned Komodo IDE (the
    full version). Although it's not free, it has plenty of useful
    features, is very configurable, supports Python and a host of other
    languages, and is a full IDE with an out-of-process debugger. This
    means you can step through GUI code, without it interfering with the
    debugger's event loop.

    You can customize it in four ways:
    1) through Edit->Preferences
    2) through recorded macros
    3) through macros written in Javascript
    4) through macros written in Python

    A subset of Komodo IDE is available as Komodo Edit, which is open source.

    Apparently Komodo is developed from some of the same code base as
    Firefox, so they can be integrated more tightly when debugging internet
    stuff. I haven't tried anything of the sort, so
    I can't say how well this works, and for what.

    Dave Angel, May 26, 2009
  11. J Kenneth King

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Bar Shirtcliff <> wrote:

    > I can't say a thing about other editors, except that when some shell
    > script perversely dumped me into vi a month ago, I felt as horrified
    > as if some actually living bugs had crawled out of my own reflection
    > on the computer screen and fallen, clicking and scraping, onto the
    > keyboard. That's a personal reaction - totally irrelevant, of course.

    <esc> : q ! <return>

    All the vi you ever need to know :)

    The real problem is when you get dumped into some editor other than you one
    you expected and don't realize it for a while. It's really amazing how
    much damage you can do to a file by typing (for example) emacs commands at
    vi. Especially if you accidentally stumble upon the sequence for "save
    file".

    Roy Smith, May 27, 2009
  12. In message <>, Jean-Michel
    Pichavant wrote:

    > Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ?

    Because all the cool kids have one. If you want to be different and
    individual like them, you have to have what they have.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  13. In message <>, Roy Smith wrote:

    > The real problem is when you get dumped into some editor other than you
    > one you expected and don't realize it for a while. It's really amazing
    > how much damage you can do to a file by typing (for example) emacs
    > commands at vi.

    Doesn't work the other way round, though. All you'll likely succeed in doing
    is putting the vi commands into the file.

    This, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, points up the essential difference
    between a modal and a non-modal way of doing things.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  14. J Kenneth King

    Ankit Guest

    On May 26, 6:04 pm, J Kenneth King <> wrote:
    > Lacrima <> writes:
    > > I am new to python.
    > > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    I will suggest u to use TEXTPAD 4 on windows and
    Emacs or Vi or RocketEdit on your Linux machine

    Ankit, May 27, 2009
  15. Have you tried vim ? it has got tons of tons of features, like ( just
    to name a few) : file manager, color syntax, tab screen,
    command/syntax completion (cache only) , vertical split, horizontal
    split, colorful diffing, create a patch, etc .. you name it !! .
    There's also plugins / script that people share @
    http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php. Also Vim comes in Windows/Unix
    version :)

    IMO, you don't even need an IDE, if you combined vim + "screen" ( man
    screen ) as both are really powerful tools
    for example: you're working in the office and connected to your remote
    CVS server, with "screen" you can lock the screen with password &
    detach it. once you're @ home and want to continue to work , you just
    need to log in to that cvs server again and do "screen -r" and voila
    your session is still there :)

    BTW: "screen" does split screen too :)

    HTH

    Teguh Iskanto, May 27, 2009
  16. In message <>, Teguh
    Iskanto wrote:

    > Have you tried vim ? it has got tons of tons of features ...

    So has everything else these days.

    > for example: you're working in the office and connected to your remote
    > CVS server ...

    Wouldn't it be easier to use a distributed VCS?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  17. J Kenneth King

    Paul Rudin Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> writes:

    > In message <>, Jean-Michel
    > Pichavant wrote:
    >
    >> Why buy an IDE when you just need a text editor ?

    > Because all the cool kids have one. If you want to be different and
    > individual like them, you have to have what they have.

    Of course it's not always clear what the difference is in any
    case. Emacs, for example, has most of the features of many IDEs (not to
    mention many features that they lack).

    Paul Rudin, May 27, 2009
  18. J Kenneth King

    flyingfrog Guest

    On 27 Mag, 08:44, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > Lacrima <> writes:
    > > I am new to python.
    > > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    > I think your time will be better spent learning a powerful, mature,
    > well-supported, free-software, programmable editor with support for an
    > enormous range of text processing tasks.
    >
    > Either of Vim or Emacs qualify. Language-specific IDEs do not.
    >
    > --
    > \ “Ladies are requested not to have children in the bar.” |
    > `\ —cocktail lounge, Norway |
    > _o__) |
    > Ben Finney

    I like using VIM.
    At this page http://blog.dispatched.ch/2009/05/24/vim-as-python-ide/
    you can find some hints about how to setup some nice plugin that ease
    python (and others) development.

    flyingfrog, May 27, 2009
  19. J Kenneth King

    rustom Guest

    I dont think Ive seen it said on this thread (if yes sorry for missing
    it)

    If you use emacs

    1. DONT use the python.el that comes with emacs but use python-mode.el
    that comes from python
    2. Use python as an interpreter ie not as you would use C or Java
    or ... which is to say
    2.1 Start python as an interpreter under emacs ... which (assuming
    emacs is set up properly) means
    2.1.1 M-x py-shell or
    2.1.2 From a python source file C-c C-c
    2.2 Dont (PLEASE) start a shell and start python in that; start a
    genuine 'inferior' python under emacs
    (yes emacs-speak is a bit weird but once you get used to it it
    has no replacement)
    3. The most useful paradigm of noob hacking of python in emacs is to
    split the window into 2, keep your python file in one and the inferior
    python interpreter in the other.
    4. After you've graduated out of noob status you may like to look at
    4.1 pdb (Ive not managed to get this to run on windows)
    4.2 doctest mode
    4.3 rope
    4.4 ipython

    rustom, May 27, 2009
  20. J Kenneth King

    godshorse Guest

    On May 26, 7:07 pm, Lacrima <> wrote:
    > I am new to python.
    > And now I am using trial version of Wing IDE.
    > But nobody mentioned it as a favourite editor.
    > So should I buy it when trial is expired or there are better choices?

    Hello,

    I too new to Python. I tried several IDEs and ended up with Wing IDE.
    I used the trial version till it expired. Then found out that Wing
    team has a scaled down version of Wing IDE called 'Wing IDE 101'.
    http://www.wingware.com/downloads/wingide-101

    Give it a try. It just lags few functions than Wing IDE.

    But its really simple and light.

    godshorse, May 27, 2009