Re: What the hell?! Medical emergency!

Discussion in 'Java' started by Derek Yancey, Dec 7, 2010.

  1. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 06/12/2010 8:28 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > As Seamus has been told dozens of times in the past, when a show is
    > preempted in the US, it's also preempted in Canada. You don't get the
    > same replacements as us, but you still don't get an episode.

    Does not make sense. It should be either the same replacements or a
    rerun of the correct show (presuming there's no first-run episode for
    the week). In this case, a rerun of House.

    Furthermore, only last-minute things should pre-empt regularly
    scheduled, scripted shows. The networks should set aside some time at a
    fixed location in their schedule for potpourri like your precious
    sing-off that can be planned for in advance. A two-hour block one
    weeknight ought to suffice for putting in random specials and events; it
    can be used for movies or random reruns in the weeks when there isn't a
    first-run special or event to put there.

    > Why do you feel the need to do this every time one of the shows you like
    > is preempted?

    Because it's time for someone to stand up to the big bullying networks
    on behalf of the viewers and demand they pay us some more respect. It's
    time, in fact, for a large number of television viewers to organize and
    make a pact to boycott ANY programming that substitutes for a
    regularly-scheduled show and isn't a last-minute piece of urgent
    breaking news.

    Go ahead and watch if there's another 9/11 or Pakistan nukes Mumbai or
    something and they cut into The Event with late-breaking news. But if
    they had weeks to plan some event like this sing-off thing, then they
    had the time and could have had the preparedness to give it a time slot
    that wouldn't interfere with regular programming. Punish them for being
    jerks and/or lazy bastards by not watching the sing-off, or anything
    else like it, or any other such non-last-minute substitutions.

    When they discover that if they schedule a show like The Event or House
    for a certain time slot, they get at least an 0.5 in A18-49 when they
    air even a rerun of the correct show in that slot, but if they air
    anything else at all they get less than 0.1, they'll quickly get the
    message and create dedicated timeslots in their fall, winter, and spring
    schedules to stuff their sing-offs and bake-offs and play-offs and other
    such one-offs into. A ghetto where those who want to watch that sort of
    shit can find it (and more easily than if it's scattered all over the
    fucking place!) but where it can't bring down the tone of the
    neighborhood for everyone else who wants to watch things like House and
    Fringe.

    Xposts added to get this important message out to a few more people.
    It's time to wake up and smell the networks' slow but steady erosion of
    service quality. You used to be able to depend on your shows being on
    reliably: same Bat-time, same Bat-channel, week after week throughout a
    semester, with big changes at, and only at, Christmas, June, and
    September. If they didn't have a new episode they'd have a rerun. OF THE
    SAME SHOW. If a show disappeared it had been canceled; if a show was not
    canceled it did not disappear, and certainly not for mysteriously, for
    weeks on end, without a hint of an explanation (let alone an apology)
    from the networks. Nowadays they seemingly shuffle their schedules every
    Tuesday and alternate Friday. Shows go off the air and on again and off
    again like old, decaying fluorescent tubes even when they haven't been
    canceled. (But their ratings suffer for it; unpredictability is a major
    viewer turn-off. No-one wants to invest time in a show, especially a
    serial like The Event, if they don't feel it's rock-solid reliable. If
    it keeps flickering on and off like an almost-dead streetlight they will
    subconsciously, if not consciously, consider it a high cancellation risk
    and probably avoid becoming invested in it -- which will make it a high
    cancellation risk.)

    It's time this stopped, and the way to stop it is this: when the
    networks deviate from their schedule, OTHER THAN for late-breaking news
    or a game overrun, BOYCOTT THE SUBSTITUTE PROGRAMMING. So if, say, you
    watch Glee, tune in to Glee's time slot on the Glee channel at the Glee
    hour on the Glee day of the week, like clockwork. If Glee is on, watch
    it (or at least leave it on in the background if, say, it's a rerun); if
    it isn't, turn off the TV for that hour. Don't watch anything else,
    unless it's your own DVDs or something -- no network television for that
    hour. Each September, January, and June, when they're *supposed* to
    shuffle the timetables, allow them to move Glee *once* and then stick to
    the new timeslot until the next one of those three months. If Glee is
    missing from it, no network TV for that hour. If they're airing first
    run episodes in the wrong timeslot (or worse, on the wrong entire
    channel), torrent or DVR them and watch later, but don't watch live.

    This goes infinity-tuple if you have a Nielsen box or anything like
    it!!! We want their ratings to send an unambiguous message to them AND
    to their advertising partners: regular and reliable scheduling is
    rewarded, and irregular and unpredictable scheduling is punished, right
    in the pocketbook where it hurts even for a soulless megacorporation.

    And spread the word!!!

    That will be all, for now.
    Derek Yancey, Dec 7, 2010

  2. Derek Yancey

    Lew Guest

    Derek Yancey wrote:
    > And spread the word!!!
    >
    > That will be all, for now.

    That will be all forever. Plonk.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 7, 2010

  3. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 07/12/2010 8:15 AM, Lew wrote:
    > Derek Yancey wrote:
    >> And spread the word!!!
    >>
    >> That will be all, for now.

    > That will be all forever. Plonk.

    Oh, ye of little faith. :rolleyes:
    Derek Yancey, Dec 7, 2010
  4. Derek Yancey

    Dano Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Yancey wrote:
    >> And spread the word!!!
    >>
    >> That will be all, for now.

    > That will be all forever. Plonk.
    >
    > --

    Hear hear...of course he'll have another nym in a minute.
    Dano, Dec 7, 2010
  5. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 07/12/2010 8:38 AM, Dano wrote:
    > "Lew" <> wrote in message
    >> Derek Yancey wrote:
    >>> And spread the word!!!
    >>>
    >>> That will be all, for now.

    >> That will be all forever. Plonk.

    Oh, ye of little faith. :rolleyes:

    > [implied insult and false accusation deleted]

    Bite me, Danny-boy. Bite me.
    Derek Yancey, Dec 7, 2010
  6. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    Lew <> writes:

    1> Newsgroups:
    sci.physics,rec.arts.tv,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    1> That will be all forever. Plonk.

    What does your plonk of Yancey have to do with OS/2, Lew?
    , Dec 7, 2010
  7. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    Derek Yancey <> writes:

    8> Newsgroups:
    sci.physics,rec.arts.tv,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    8> Oh, ye of little faith. :rolleyes:

    What does Lew's limitation on faith have to do with OS/2, Yancey?

    9> Newsgroups:
    sci.physics,rec.arts.tv,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    8> Oh, ye of little faith. :rolleyes:

    What does Dano's limitation on faith have to do with OS/2, Yancey?

    8> Bite me, Danny-boy. Bite me.

    What does your request to be bitten have to do with OS/2, Yancey?
    , Dec 7, 2010
  8. Derek Yancey

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 07-12-2010 16:50, wrote:
    > Lew<> writes:
    >
    > 1> Newsgroups:
    > sci.physics,rec.arts.tv,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development
    >
    > 1> That will be all forever. Plonk.
    >
    > What does your plonk of Yancey have to do with OS/2, Lew?

    There is a certain tradition for publicizing plonks.

    I think it is a waste of time, but non the less then it
    is common.

    In this case it is extra much waste, but ...

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 8, 2010
  9. On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:17:12 -0500, Derek Yancey wrote:

    > On 06/12/2010 8:28 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
    >> As Seamus has been told dozens of times in the past, when a show is
    >> preempted in the US, it's also preempted in Canada. You don't get the
    >> same replacements as us, but you still don't get an episode.

    > Does not make sense. It should be either the same replacements or a
    > rerun of the correct show (presuming there's no first-run episode for
    > the week). In this case, a rerun of House.

    What the hell is this shit doing in comp.lang.java.programmer?
    ClassCastException, Dec 8, 2010
  10. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 07/12/2010 11:52 PM, ClassCastException wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:17:12 -0500, Derek Yancey wrote:
    >
    >> On 06/12/2010 8:28 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
    >>> As Seamus has been told dozens of times in the past, when a show is
    >>> preempted in the US, it's also preempted in Canada. You don't get the
    >>> same replacements as us, but you still don't get an episode.

    >> Does not make sense. It should be either the same replacements or a
    >> rerun of the correct show (presuming there's no first-run episode for
    >> the week). In this case, a rerun of House.

    > What the hell is this shit doing in comp.lang.java.programmer?

    Can't you read? This "shit", as you call it, is an attempt to start a
    general boycott of unwanted substitutes for our television shows, as
    collective action to incentivize the TV networks into returning to their
    former "same Bat-time, same Bat-channel" scheduling policies wherein one
    could rely on one's shows being regularly scheduled and not moving
    around, disappearing for weeks at a time, and otherwise being
    unpredictable -- things that hurt a show's ratings, understandably, and
    result in good shows getting canceled if the schedulers jerk them around
    too much.

    We must act now! The sanctity of our television programming is at stake!
    The Event is on the ropes because of this kind of nonsense. It was,
    partly, this kind of nonsense from the networks that killed
    Firefly and more recently has badly hurt Fringe's ratings. The networks
    used to schedule shows predictably; they'd draw up a schedule in
    September and stick to it until January, for instance, and set aside
    some time in the schedule for specials and movies and other miscellany,
    say 8-10pm on Fridays.

    Now they draw up a schedule in September and then crumple it up and
    throw it out a window at the proverbial drop of a hat. They preempt
    shows not just for major, sudden news events and games going into
    overtime but for things they knew about weeks in advance and should have
    been able to schedule in a non-conflicting way. Not only does this knock
    into a cocked hat all attempts to predict when the next episode of your
    show will be on, it makes it look like shows have been canceled when
    they sometimes haven't been and generates a general sense of
    uncertainty. It also results in far fewer reruns of current-season
    episodes, which in turn makes it harder to catch up if you miss an
    episode. (The cynic in me wonders if that's intentional, to try to force
    people to rent or buy expensive DVD sets or subscribe to expensive
    On-Demand plans/Hulu+/etc. if they miss an episode; if so, the idiots
    should know that will backfire when people instead resort to DVRs and
    torrents to catch up, generating no revenue for them and skipping all
    the ads.)

    The only way to force the networks to return to the old,
    reliable-scheduling ways seems to be to punish them in the ratings, and
    thus ad revenues, from deviating from such scheduling. It's like
    training Pavlov's dogs. When they air a show you're a fan of in its
    usual time slot you tune in; if it's a rerun you don't really want to
    re-watch you leave it on as background noise (or even mute it) if you
    have a Nielsen box or are otherwise being tracked. When they air *any*
    kind of substitute programming in one of your shows' time-slots that is
    *not* either a new episode or a rerun of the correct show for that time
    slot for that four-month "season", on the other hand, you tune in
    something else or turn off the television for that hour. The exception
    is for late-breaking news and, if you're watching it anyway, a game
    going into overtime. Those the networks can't in all fairness be blamed for.

    When their ratings for regularly-scheduled programming in its
    regularly-scheduled time-slot are consistently much higher than for any
    kind of non-last-minute substitutes, then they will stop making those
    kinds of substitutions, the schedules for our shows will become stable,
    and they will no longer lose viewers and eventually be canceled because
    of moves and lengthy disappearances and other such nonsense that
    alienates viewers.
    Derek Yancey, Dec 8, 2010
  11. On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:25:53 -0500, Derek Yancey wrote:

    > On 07/12/2010 11:52 PM, ClassCastException wrote:

    >>> Does not make sense. It should be either the same replacements or a
    >>> rerun of the correct show (presuming there's no first-run episode for
    >>> the week). In this case, a rerun of House.

    >> What the hell is this shit doing in comp.lang.java.programmer?

    > Can't you read? This "shit", as you call it, is an attempt to start a
    > general boycott of unwanted substitutes for our television shows

    Fascinating. And what, pray tell, does a boycott of television shows have
    to do with Java? Or OS/2? Or physics? Or roguelike development, whatever
    the hell that is? And why did you title this thread "medical emergency",
    when clearly this is nothing of the sort?

    Actually, don't bother answering that. I won't read it.

    *plonk*
    ClassCastException, Dec 8, 2010
  12. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 08/12/2010 4:30 AM, ClassCastException wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:25:53 -0500, Derek Yancey wrote:

    >>> What the hell is this shit doing in comp.lang.java.programmer?

    >> Can't you read? This "shit", as you call it, is an attempt to start a
    >> general boycott of unwanted substitutes for our television shows

    > Fascinating. And what, pray tell, does a boycott of television shows have
    > to do with Java? Or OS/2? Or physics? Or roguelike development, whatever
    > the hell that is?

    The word needs to get out to as many people as possible. And furthermore
    the rec.arts.tv regulars all seem to be apologists for the misbehavior
    of the networks.

    > And why did you title this thread "medical emergency",
    > when clearly this is nothing of the sort?

    House is about medical emergencies and is one of the shows being jerked
    around by the networks.

    > Actually, [implied insult deleted]

    Asshole!
    Derek Yancey, Dec 8, 2010
  13. Derek Yancey

    Nigel Wade Guest

    All x-post NGs removed.

    On 08/12/10 09:30, ClassCastException wrote:

    > Fascinating. And what, pray tell, does a boycott of television shows have
    > to do with Java? Or OS/2? Or physics? Or roguelike development, whatever
    > the hell that is? And why did you title this thread "medical emergency",
    > when clearly this is nothing of the sort?

    It's a cross-posted troll. Intended to illicit exactly this kind of
    response to keep the troll running and fill up the target NG
    (rec.arts.tv in this instance) with useless noise.

    Ignoring them is the only way to make them go away. The more you protest
    the more the troller wins because their only aim is to generate noise.

    --
    Nigel Wade
    Nigel Wade, Dec 8, 2010
  14. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    Lew <> writes:

    2> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy

    2> What does your utter bullshit have to do with Java, "tholen"?

    Classic erroneous presupposition of any "utter bullshit" from
    me, Lew. I simply asked you what your plonk of Yancey has to
    do with OS/2. I see that you failed to answer the question.
    No surprise there, really.

    2> Plonk.

    Famous Last Word.
    , Dec 9, 2010
  15. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= <> writes:

    1> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer

    1> There is a certain tradition for publicizing plonks.

    Then the publication should be in the newsgroup where it is
    a tradition.

    1> I think it is a waste of time, but non the less then it
    1> is common.

    Almost as common as the plonks are the "unplonks". Some
    people simply can't resist. DV8 has plonked a couple dozen
    times at least, but is still at it.

    1> In this case it is extra much waste, but ...

    Especially given that it doesn't stop them from posting
    off-topic material.
    , Dec 9, 2010
  16. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    ClassCastException <> writes:

    1> Newsgroups:
    rec.arts.tv,sci.physics,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    1> What the hell is this shit doing in comp.lang.java.programmer?

    It's there because you posted it there. You also posted it
    to comp.os.os2.advocacy. What does your shit have to do
    with OS/2, ClassCastException?

    2> Newsgroups:
    rec.arts.tv,sci.physics,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    2> Fascinating. And what, pray tell, does a boycott of television
    shows have
    2> to do with Java? Or OS/2? Or physics? Or roguelike development,
    whatever
    2> the hell that is? And why did you title this thread "medical
    emergency",
    2> when clearly this is nothing of the sort?

    Actually, it's a feeble attempt by Harrison and his various
    sockpuppets to drown out a rather embarrassing example of
    his reading comprehension problem by posting a bunch of
    other things in multiple newsgroups in hopes of stirring
    up a lot of traffic. Harrison doesn't understand that
    "erroneous" does indeed represent an indication of
    disagreement. Otherwise he wouldn't have claimed that
    there was no indication of disagreement.

    2> Actually, don't bother answering that. I won't read it.

    2> *plonk*

    Famous Last Word.
    , Dec 9, 2010
  17. Derek Yancey

    Guest

    Derek Yancey <> writes:

    10> Newsgroups:
    rec.arts.tv,sci.physics,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    10> Can't you read? This "shit", as you call it, is an attempt to
    start a
    10> general boycott of unwanted substitutes for our television shows,
    as
    10> collective action to incentivize the TV networks into returning to
    their
    10> former "same Bat-time, same Bat-channel" scheduling policies
    wherein one
    10> could rely on one's shows being regularly scheduled and not
    moving
    10> around, disappearing for weeks at a time, and otherwise being
    10> unpredictable -- things that hurt a show's ratings,
    understandably, and
    10> result in good shows getting canceled if the schedulers jerk them
    around
    10> too much.

    10> We must act now! The sanctity of our television programming is at
    stake!
    10> The Event is on the ropes because of this kind of nonsense. It
    was,
    10> partly, this kind of nonsense from the networks that killed
    10> Firefly and more recently has badly hurt Fringe's ratings. The
    networks
    10> used to schedule shows predictably; they'd draw up a schedule in
    10> September and stick to it until January, for instance, and set
    aside
    10> some time in the schedule for specials and movies and other
    miscellany,
    10> say 8-10pm on Fridays.

    10> Now they draw up a schedule in September and then crumple it up
    and
    10> throw it out a window at the proverbial drop of a hat. They
    preempt
    10> shows not just for major, sudden news events and games going into
    10> overtime but for things they knew about weeks in advance and
    should have
    10> been able to schedule in a non-conflicting way. Not only does this
    knock
    10> into a cocked hat all attempts to predict when the next episode of
    your
    10> show will be on, it makes it look like shows have been canceled
    when
    10> they sometimes haven't been and generates a general sense of
    10> uncertainty. It also results in far fewer reruns of current-
    season
    10> episodes, which in turn makes it harder to catch up if you miss
    an
    10> episode. (The cynic in me wonders if that's intentional, to try to
    force
    10> people to rent or buy expensive DVD sets or subscribe to
    expensive
    10> On-Demand plans/Hulu+/etc. if they miss an episode; if so, the
    idiots
    10> should know that will backfire when people instead resort to DVRs
    and
    10> torrents to catch up, generating no revenue for them and skipping
    all
    10> the ads.)

    10> The only way to force the networks to return to the old,
    10> reliable-scheduling ways seems to be to punish them in the
    ratings, and
    10> thus ad revenues, from deviating from such scheduling. It's like
    10> training Pavlov's dogs. When they air a show you're a fan of in
    its
    10> usual time slot you tune in; if it's a rerun you don't really want
    10> re-watch you leave it on as background noise (or even mute it) if
    you
    10> have a Nielsen box or are otherwise being tracked. When they air
    *any*
    10> kind of substitute programming in one of your shows' time-slots
    that is
    10> *not* either a new episode or a rerun of the correct show for that
    time
    10> slot for that four-month "season", on the other hand, you tune in
    10> something else or turn off the television for that hour. The
    exception
    10> is for late-breaking news and, if you're watching it anyway, a
    game
    10> going into overtime. Those the networks can't in all fairness be
    blamed for.

    10> When their ratings for regularly-scheduled programming in its
    10> regularly-scheduled time-slot are consistently much higher than
    for any
    10> kind of non-last-minute substitutes, then they will stop making
    those
    10> kinds of substitutions, the schedules for our shows will become
    stable,
    10> and they will no longer lose viewers and eventually be canceled
    because
    10> of moves and lengthy disappearances and other such nonsense that
    10> alienates viewers.

    How ironic that you should ask ClassCastException "Can't you read?",
    given
    that you obviously couldn't read and properly comprehend the question
    that
    ClassCastException asked you, Yancey. It's obvious because NOTHING in
    your lengthy reply justified your posting in the
    comp.lang.java.programmer
    newsgroup, Yancey.

    11> Newsgroups:
    rec.arts.tv,sci.physics,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,rec.games.roguelike.development

    11> The word needs to get out to as many people as possible.

    Classic illogic, given that your chosen newsgroups for distribution
    fail to achieve your stated goal, Yancey. Or do you wish to claim
    that there are more OS/2 users than Windows users? Notice how you
    didn't post your "word" to any Windows newsgroups, but you did post
    your "word" to an OS/2 newsgroup, with the now-stated intent of
    getting your "word" out to as many people as possible.

    11> And furthermore
    11> the rec.arts.tv regulars all seem to be apologists for the
    misbehavior
    11> of the networks.

    What does that have to do with OS/2, Yancey?

    11> House is about medical emergencies and is one of the shows being
    jerked
    11> around by the networks.

    What does that have to do with OS/2, Yancey?

    11> Asshole!

    Appropriate signature line you have there, Yancey.
    , Dec 9, 2010
  18. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 09/12/2010 7:54 AM, wrote:
    > Derek Yancey<> writes:
    > [snip large volumes of disused quoted text]

    Learn to trim.

    > How ironic that you should ask ClassCastException "Can't you read?",
    > given that you [insult deleted]

    What, aren't you going to ask me what all of that had to do with OS/2?

    > 11> The word needs to get out to as many people as possible.
    >
    > Classic [insult deleted]

    Oh, blow it out your ear.

    > Or do you wish to claim that there are more OS/2 users than Windows
    > users? Notice how you didn't post your "word" to any Windows
    > newsgroups, but you did post your "word" to an OS/2 newsgroup

    Aha! I think I've got you figured out. You're an OS/2 user yourself, and
    you've got "Windows envy" on behalf of your pet operating system! You're
    just jealous because Windows newsgroups actually get the occasional
    on-topic post, while 100% of the traffic in comp.os.os2.advocacy is
    flaming, trolling, and spamming of various sorts, more than half of it
    posted by you.

    > 11> Asshole!
    >
    > [insult deleted]

    Dizzy is right. You, sir, are a loon. A raving one, at that.
    Derek Yancey, Dec 9, 2010
  19. Derek Yancey

    Derek Yancey Guest

    On 09/12/2010 11:15 AM, eyenot wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 11:17 pm, Derek Yancey<> wrote:
    >> This goes infinity-tuple if you have a Nielsen box or anything like
    >> And spread the word!!!

    > [rude demand deleted]! This has nothing to do with programming a
    > roguelike video game!
    >
    > ... You probably don't even know what a roguelike is!

    As a matter of fact, I don't. But the word must get out and the boycott
    must begin!

    Networks, beware the wrath of viewers who have grown tired of your
    shenanigans and jerking genre-show fans around with scheduling "mishaps"
    for years!
    Derek Yancey, Dec 9, 2010
  20. Derek Yancey

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 09-12-2010 07:39, wrote:
    > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=<> writes:
    >
    > 1> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer
    >
    > 1> There is a certain tradition for publicizing plonks.
    >
    > Then the publication should be in the newsgroup where it is
    > a tradition.

    It is a general tradition on usenet - it is not confined to some
    groups.

    > 1> I think it is a waste of time, but non the less then it
    > 1> is common.
    >
    > Almost as common as the plonks are the "unplonks". Some
    > people simply can't resist. DV8 has plonked a couple dozen
    > times at least, but is still at it.

    Quite possible.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 10, 2010