Re: What thimgs ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. Abdullah Kahn wrote:

    > I want to learn how to make a professional looking website. Apart from html,
    > what else must I learn ? Javascript, and what else ?

    Don't forget CSS.
    Start here: http://htmldog.com/

    Consider hiring a professional graphical designer, too.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2010

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > The best practice
    > (some say) is to not use javascript at all.

    Who says this? The smarter thing some say is to not have it play
    crucial roles.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 18, 2010

  3. Abdullah Kahn wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" wrote:
    >> Abdullah Kahn wrote:

    >>> Many thanks for that advice. Is there a good beginners guide to
    >>> javascript you can recommend ? (love your nickname by the way)

    >> That's a very "iffy" proposition. There is a segment of the browsing
    >> population that has javascript turned off by choice. The best
    >> practice (some say) is to not use javascript at all. JS may be
    >> exploited to nefarious ends. On the other hand, some major sites
    >> require JS for full functionality. YMMV.

    > Well if some people don't have javascript enabled then maybe it's a
    > good thing as I won't have to learn about it:) I want to do a big
    > site a bit like ebay so will I need javascript for that ?

    What? You want to do an eBay-type site for your first? Methinks you
    are biting off a *lot* more than you can chew. That means, "start much
    smaller than that." Start with a personal site of a few pages. I'd wager
    that eBay has an entire *team* of professional, trained people
    maintaining their sites.

    > Even so I would still like to look at a website that will tell me the
    > basifcs about java as i have not much idea about it,

    Do not be confused: Java != JavaScript. Two entirely different things.

    Once you've worked through the tutorial at htmldog.com ..

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2010