Re: What triggers a recompile

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hans Kesting, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting Guest

    "jcriv" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have an asp.net webform app. I have it loaded on a hosted website for demo purposes. If I access the forms in the site for

    the first time it goes really slowly and I expect this as it needs to 'just in time' compile. If I come back to any of the forms it
    goes much faster.

    > However if I come back to the forms a few days later they go really slow again, I assume recompiling.
    >
    > I have not changed the forms or any underlying code. What other things can cause this to happen? I'm thinking that maybe the

    host company might be rebooting the server or knocking down the asp service to do backup, or not enough memory,etc. I'd like to get
    a list of all of the possible reasons since I want to take this live for a customer but don't want them to get the slow responses.
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > John

    If the web application is not used for some time (I take this to mean: after the
    last session has expired), then it is unloaded from memory, thereby discarding
    the jitted code.
    The next time someone accesses the site it will be jitted again.

    If the site is accessed enough (=at least once every 20 minutes, which is the
    default session timeout) then it won't be unloaded.

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Jul 15, 2004

  2. The session timeout shouldn't have anything to do with the jitted code held
    within the appDomain, which should remain for the duration of the
    applications life (AFAIK). Cached items may be removed (do you use any
    output caching).

    Also, we have experienced issues with things like Anti-Virus scanner than
    can modify files (perhaps adding a checksum or a backup process modifying
    some files or adding some files) which causes the appDomain to reset
    (perhaps a scan is run once a night?). Might not be the case for yourself
    but we have seen this issue cause many restarts.

    Apart from that, I think the Tampa .Net Koder covered the rest.

    --
    - Paul Glavich
    Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

    Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET], Jul 15, 2004