Re: What was your strategy?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:32:24 -0600, Jorge Biquez <>

    > I was wondering if you can share what was the strategy you followed
    > to master Python (Yes I know I have to work hard study and practice a
    > lot). I mean did you use special books, special sites, a plan to

    I picked up the first edition "Programming Python" (and a now
    forgotten competitor book) since the Amiga was mentioned... Read the
    tutorial, the reference manual, skimmed the library manual... And by the
    end of the week, using the applicable RFC for protocol description, I
    wrote a client SMTP email sending module for the Amiga as the utilities
    I'd been using were flawed (to give one an idea of how old this was --
    the first SMTP utility did NOT rely on the now common practice of
    relaying via local ISP but instead created an outgoing message for EACH
    addressee, and would sequentially contact the destination host directly;
    which failed if the address required an MX look-up, and failure blocked
    the entire outgoing mail queue... the second utility did relay, but was
    miscoded on how to handle CC and BCC entries -- apparently it thought
    the relay host would parse those in the message).

    But that won't help you unless you already know five or six
    languages of different types, at least well enough to understand the
    concepts (my background had primary FORTRAN 77; college COBOL, Pascal,
    APL, assembly, FORTRAN-IV, and post-college LISP [on a TRS-80], Pascal,
    K&R C, BASIC, and intro to Ada, C/C++, AREXX, VMS DCL), along with
    exposure to structured design techniques (Python is practically an
    executable pseudo-code).
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 15, 2010

  2. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Lou Pecora Guest

    In article <>,
    Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:32:24 -0600, Jorge Biquez <>
    >
    > > I was wondering if you can share what was the strategy you followed
    > > to master Python (Yes I know I have to work hard study and practice a
    > > lot). I mean did you use special books, special sites, a plan to

    > I picked up the first edition "Programming Python" (and a now
    > forgotten competitor book) since the Amiga was mentioned...

    I'll jump in and recommend the book "Python in a Nutshell" by Martelli.
    It may be a little dated now, but it covers many Python topics in good
    detail without becoming a bloated reference. Nicely written. It's still
    the first book I reach for after 6 years of Python coding and it rarely
    disappoints.

    --
    -- Lou Pecora
    Lou Pecora, Nov 16, 2010

  3. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Steve Holden Guest

    On 11/16/2010 2:22 PM, Lou Pecora wrote:
    > I'll jump in and recommend the book "Python in a Nutshell" by Martelli.
    > It may be a little dated now, but it covers many Python topics in good
    > detail without becoming a bloated reference. Nicely written. It's still
    > the first book I reach for after 6 years of Python coding and it rarely
    > disappoints.

    +1

    It's encyclopedic.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17 http://us.pycon.org/
    Steve Holden, Nov 16, 2010
  4. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Lou Pecora Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Holden <> wrote:

    > On 11/16/2010 2:22 PM, Lou Pecora wrote:
    > > I'll jump in and recommend the book "Python in a Nutshell" by Martelli.
    > > It may be a little dated now, but it covers many Python topics in good
    > > detail without becoming a bloated reference. Nicely written. It's still
    > > the first book I reach for after 6 years of Python coding and it rarely
    > > disappoints.

    > +1
    >
    > It's encyclopedic.

    Indeed. I hope Martelli updates it. I'd buy another copy right away.

    --
    -- Lou Pecora
    Lou Pecora, Nov 18, 2010
  5. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Guest

    +2 I also agree.

    - Braden Faulkner
    > On 11/16/2010 2:22 PM, Lou Pecora wrote:
    > > I'll jump in and recommend the book "Python in a Nutshell" by Martelli.
    > > It may be a little dated now, but it covers many Python topics in good
    > > detail without becoming a bloated reference. Nicely written. It's still
    > > the first book I reach for after 6 years of Python coding and it rarely
    > > disappoints.

    > +1
    >
    > It's encyclopedic.

    Indeed. I hope Martelli updates it. I'd buy another copy right away.

    --
    -- Lou Pecora
    , Nov 18, 2010
  6. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Lou Pecora <> writes:
    >> > I'll jump in and recommend the book "Python in a Nutshell" by Martelli.

    >> It's encyclopedic.

    > Indeed. I hope Martelli updates it. I'd buy another copy right away.

    It's a great book but not a starting point for beginners. It's
    definitely worth having for more advanced users.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 18, 2010
  7. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Lou Pecora Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <> wrote:

    > >> It's encyclopedic.

    > > Indeed. I hope Martelli updates it. I'd buy another copy right away.

    > It's a great book but not a starting point for beginners. It's
    > definitely worth having for more advanced users.

    I would beg to differ. I used it from the start of my Python learning
    curve and was greatly helped by it. For me it gave explanations at just
    the right level with paths to more detail if you wanted. I found it
    helpful from the beginning. I would recommended others to at least look
    at it. You might be helped right away and it's a good addition to any
    Python programmer's library.

    --
    -- Lou Pecora
    Lou Pecora, Nov 19, 2010
  8. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Steve Holden Guest

    On 11/19/2010 10:55 AM, Lou Pecora wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Paul Rubin <> wrote:

    >>> Indeed. I hope Martelli updates it. I'd buy another copy right away.

    >> It's a great book but not a starting point for beginners. It's
    >> definitely worth having for more advanced users.

    > I would beg to differ. I used it from the start of my Python learning
    > curve and was greatly helped by it. For me it gave explanations at just
    > the right level with paths to more detail if you wanted. I found it
    > helpful from the beginning. I would recommended others to at least look
    > at it. You might be helped right away and it's a good addition to any
    > Python programmer's library.

    I'd say "Nushell" is a great book for experienced programmers, whether
    in Python or other languages. It's definitely not something I would
    recommend for a programming noob.

    regards
    Steve
    Steve Holden, Nov 19, 2010