Re: What you can do with macros in Lisp

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kenny Tilton, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Kenny Tilton

    Kenny Tilton Guest

    Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

    > Well, as explained in Paul Graham's "On Lisp" in his extended coverage
    > of LISP macros, if you don't mind the typing (and most importantly the
    > associated obfuscation by redundant details),...

    Right. I want to start this almost 500 message thread over again and say
    to the Pythonistas, "I thought you valued visually cleaner code?".

    kenny

    --
    http://tilton-technology.com
    What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my:

    Kenny Tilton, Oct 12, 2003

  2. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:49:24 GMT,
    Kenny Tilton <> wrote:
    > Right. I want to start this almost 500 message thread over again and say
    > to the Pythonistas, "I thought you valued visually cleaner code?".

    Yes, but we also value people who know when the horse is dead.

    --amk

    A.M. Kuchling, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Kenny Tilton

    Kenny Tilton Guest

    A.M. Kuchling wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:49:24 GMT,
    > Kenny Tilton <> wrote:
    >
    >>Right. I want to start this almost 500 message thread over again and say
    >>to the Pythonistas, "I thought you valued visually cleaner code?".

    > Yes, but we also value people who know when the horse is dead.

    nonsense. in those 500 messages not once did Lispniks point out that
    macros can be used for no good end other than to hide a lot of
    boilerplate typing (and that is a very good end AFAIAC. Visually cleaner
    code is very important to Pythonistas, so this was a serious oversight.
    (It would not have been in a visually ugly language.)

    this horse needs killing, too, but we all agree on cleaner code so one
    good Pedro Martinez fastball in the hear should have Old Nell down
    faster than Zim.

    :)

    Kenny Tilton, Oct 12, 2003