Re: What's new in C?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Keith Thompson, Nov 29, 2012.

  1. Cal Dershowitz <> writes:
    > It's been forever since I posted as OP in c.l.c. When I was learning C
    > from Dan Pop, the authors of unleashed, Chris Torek, Keith and even
    > Chuck before he was wrong all the time, there was always the tension
    > between dos and linux platforms, Topic Zealotry: there is no topic but
    > the topic, but also there was good, topical and honest disagreements
    > about C itself.
    >
    > There seemed to be a significant numbers of individuals and companies
    > who were just going to keep on working with C90, while others and I went
    > toward C99.
    >
    > I'm wondering how it all turned out. While the C specification is
    > concise and small, the C family of users and applications is
    > monstrously-large.
    >
    > Did embedded systems eventually embrace newer C?
    >
    > Is there a new standard, like a C 2012, where everyone's happy and
    > there's this great moment of aquarius going on in the C community?
    >
    > How do I ask my linux operating system about the C it uses?

    The latest C standard is C11, released in December, 2011. A draft
    is available at
    I'm not aware of any differences between it and the released standard.
    The Foreward summarizes the differences from C99.

    C11 makes several features optional, including some that were mandatory
    in C99 (variable-length arrays and complex arithmetic). Other major new
    features are (optional) threads, type-generic expressions, better
    Unicode support, better alignment support, and (optional)
    bounds-checking interfaces.

    Oh, and gets() has been removed; it's not even optional.

    Most (all?) Linux-based operating systems use gcc as the main C
    compiler, though clang is becoming more popular. "gcc --version"
    shows you the current version you're using; "info gcc" will (usually)
    show you extensive documentation. The gcc folks have implemented
    some C11 features; I don't know how far they'e gotten.

    Pelles C (Windows only) seems to have quite good C11 support.

    I don't know what's going on in the embedded world.

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Nov 29, 2012

  2. Keith Thompson

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 12/06/2012 04:43 AM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:

    >> The latest C standard is C11, released in December, 2011. A draft
    >> is available at
    >> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf
    >> I'm not aware of any differences between it and the released standard.
    >> The Foreward summarizes the differences from C99.

    > This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition, ISO/IEC
    > 9899:1999, as
    > corrected by ISO/IEC 9899:1999/Cor 1:2001, ISO/IEC 9899:1999/Cor 2:2004, and
    > ISO/IEC 9899:1999/Cor 3:2007. Major changes from the previous edition
    > include:

    > Major changes in the second edition included:

    > This might be a bigger list of changes than I would have thought.

    You originally asked about changes since C99. That second section
    includes changes made between C90 and C99.
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Dec 6, 2012