Re: What's new in C?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Weland, Nov 29, 2012.

  1. Weland

    Weland Guest

    On 2012-11-29, Cal Dershowitz <> wrote:
    > Did embedded systems eventually embrace newer C?

    Not overwhelmingly, but mostly because quite a few of the features
    introduced in C99 aren't that necessary in embedded systems. Well, the
    inttypes.h thing helped a little, and so did snprintf, but IIRC many
    of these things were already available in various compilers, just not
    part of the standard? I've seen folks developing for the 8051 (yes, it
    has not died yet, that thing is worse than Jesus!) in a bastardized
    ANSI C as recently as August this year.

    I don't know about C11. Alignment specification sounds like something
    we could use sometimes, and the bounds-checking interfaces may make
    things less painful to debug on devices with little user I/O.

    --
    Weland Treebark,
    Wandering Philosopher and Engineer

    Weland, Nov 29, 2012