RE: What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about Ruby over Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by sismex01@hebmex.com, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Guest

    [Erik Max Francis]

    > There's been at least four of five times where Brandon has claimed to
    > have put me in his killfile; he keeps "forgetting." Not that that is
    > terribly surprising coming from someone who is so fond of
    > telling people about the contents of his killfile.

    Oohh!! Now you're REALLY gonna get it!

    He's gonna REALLY REALLY gonna put you in his killfile!

    ....maybe!

    ;-)

    -gustavo

    pd: Next week on National Enquirer: BRANDON'S KILLFILE!!

    Advertencia:La informacion contenida en este mensaje es confidencial y
    restringida, por lo tanto esta destinada unicamente para el uso de la
    persona arriba indicada, se le notifica que esta prohibida la difusion de
    este mensaje. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, o si hay problemas en
    la transmision, favor de comunicarse con el remitente. Gracias.
    , Aug 18, 2003

  2. wrote:
    > [Erik Max Francis]
    >>
    >> There's been at least four of five times where Brandon has claimed to
    >> have put me in his killfile; he keeps "forgetting." Not that that is
    >> terribly surprising coming from someone who is so fond of
    >> telling people about the contents of his killfile.

    Erik, every time you have ever been "responded to," it's been an indirect
    quote. You have been in my killfile, and off my radar, for at least a year
    if not longer. Sometimes I forget you exist. But every once in awhile I
    see your name, quoted, in the groups I participate in. Sometimes I'll
    respond to a point you have made, that someone else has followed up to, if
    it's a sufficiently interesting point. But you'll notice I never sustain
    any debate with you, let alone respond to your muckraking drivel. Notice,
    in the present instance, that there is no direct response to your quip about
    c.l.r being more useful because I'm not in it. I learned about it
    secondhand.

    > Oohh!! Now you're REALLY gonna get it!
    >
    > He's gonna REALLY REALLY gonna put you in his killfile!
    >
    > ...maybe!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > -gustavo
    >
    > pd: Next week on National Enquirer: BRANDON'S KILLFILE!!

    And if I continue to killfile all your fellow gremlins, I may yet reach a
    time when I never even know. Goodbye, gustavo!

    --
    Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    20% of the world is real.
    Brandon J. Van Every, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Ben Finney Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:16:06 -0700, Erik Max Francis wrote:
    > Ben Finney wrote:
    >> Seeing second-hand comments (as quoted by others) from people in one's
    >> killfile is a hazard of Usenet.

    > Of course. And it's easily avoided with the tiniest bit of
    > self-restraint.

    Uh, no. Seeing them isn't amenable to self-restraint -- you can only
    exercise that *after* seeing them.

    --
    \ "Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be |
    `\ over here, looking through your stuff." -- Jack Handey |
    Ben Finney, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Aahz Guest

    Re: What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about good newsreaders?

    In article <>,
    Ben Finney <> wrote:

    >Brandon accesses comp.lang.python via Usenet, not email. His
    >X-Newsreader header shows he is using Outlook Express. I don't know of
    >any newsreaders that can allow you to filter on the person(s) to whom
    >the current post is responding -- nor any email clients with the
    >facility, for that matter.
    >
    >The "References" header could theoretically allow you get that
    >information, but it would be expensive to do so for every message,
    >especially in long-running threads.

    Supposedly gnus and slrn do that, though.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    with useful practice. --Aahz
    Aahz, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Ben Finney wrote:

    > Seeing second-hand comments (as quoted by others) from people in one's
    > killfile is a hazard of Usenet.

    Of course. And it's easily avoided with the tiniest bit of
    self-restraint.

    / \ No man is more cheated than the selfish man.
    \__/ Henry Ward Beecher
    Erik Max Francis, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Re: What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about good newsreaders?

    In article <bhsbmd$rv5$>, (Aahz)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Brandon accesses comp.lang.python via Usenet, not email. His
    > >X-Newsreader header shows he is using Outlook Express. I don't know of
    > >any newsreaders that can allow you to filter on the person(s) to whom
    > >the current post is responding -- nor any email clients with the
    > >facility, for that matter.
    > >
    > >The "References" header could theoretically allow you get that
    > >information, but it would be expensive to do so for every message,
    > >especially in long-running threads.

    > Supposedly gnus and slrn do that, though.

    MT-Newswatcher has no problem with filtering on References:
    I use it to make sure I see replies to my own messages,
    but I have a distinctive string on the user side of my message-ID's.
    Brandon doesn't seem to, but does seem to use a distinctive host:
    ID-203719.news.uni-berlin.de.

    Googling for that, it seems that the only other stuff you would lose by
    killfiling references containing that hostname would be his six-way
    crossposts to alt.atheism, alt.politics.bush, alt.fan.noam-chomsky,
    soc.culture.iraq, soc.culture.jewish, soc.culture.russian, and
    soc.history.war.misc... Some people are still saying he isn't a troll?

    David Eppstein, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Nick Vargish Guest

    Ben Finney <> writes:

    > I don't know of any newsreaders that can allow you to filter on the
    > person(s) to whom the current post is responding

    Gnus certainly can.

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
    print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
    Nick Vargish, Aug 20, 2003
  8. The real question here is, why haven't we all but Brandon in OUR killfiles?

    smarter_than_you, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Nick Vargish Guest

    (smarter_than_you) writes:

    > The real question here is, why haven't we all but Brandon in OUR killfiles?

    When there's a stinging insect flying around the room, I like to be
    able to see it.

    Also, his perspective is so different from mine, I find it useful to
    be reminded that there are people like him out there. It's fascinating
    the way he seems to think everything needs to be a zero-sum
    interaction... I mean, _why_ does anyone in the open source world have
    to eat anyone else's lunch? Why is market dominance supposed to be
    important to pythonistas? It's just good to be reminded that some
    people really think like this -- as weird as it might seem to me.

    Nick

    Nick Vargish, Aug 21, 2003
  10. In article <>,
    smarter_than_you wrote:

    > The real question here is, why haven't we all but Brandon in OUR killfiles?

    Brandon's not very interesting (or only as interesting as the spectacle of
    someone behaving badly usually is), but some of the replies are.

    Dave Cook
    David M. Cook, Aug 21, 2003