Re: Where can I find good python code?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Lambacher, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 01:08:37AM +0900, js wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've learned basics of Python and want to go to the next step.
    > So I'm looking for good python examples
    > I steal good techniques from.
    >
    > I found Python distribution itself contains some examples in Demo directory.
    > I spent some time to read them and
    > I think they're good but seemed not so practical to me.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    A large portion of the standard library is pure python and of high
    quality(thats how it made it there in the first place). The newer a module is
    to the library, the better it will conform to current best practices.

    On Unix environments you can find the standard library in
    $PREFIX/lib/python$VERSION/ where $PREFIX is often /usr but sometimes
    /usr/local and version is the version you have installed (maybe 2.4 or 2.5?)

    On Windows you can find the standard library in c:\Python%VERSION%\Lib where
    %VERSION% is the version you installed (maybe 24 or 25?)

    -Chris

    Chris Lambacher, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Chris Lambacher

    vasudevram Guest

    Chris Lambacher wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 01:08:37AM +0900, js wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've learned basics of Python and want to go to the next step.
    > > So I'm looking for good python examples
    > > I steal good techniques from.
    > >
    > > I found Python distribution itself contains some examples in Demo directory.
    > > I spent some time to read them and
    > > I think they're good but seemed not so practical to me.
    > >
    > > Any recommendations?

    > A large portion of the standard library is pure python and of high
    > quality(thats how it made it there in the first place). The newer a module is
    > to the library, the better it will conform to current best practices.
    >
    > On Unix environments you can find the standard library in
    > $PREFIX/lib/python$VERSION/ where $PREFIX is often /usr but sometimes
    > /usr/local and version is the version you have installed (maybe 2.4 or 2.5?)
    >
    > On Windows you can find the standard library in c:\Python%VERSION%\Lib where
    > %VERSION% is the version you installed (maybe 24 or 25?)
    >
    > -Chris

    Try reading the code in this package:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf
    Not very idiomatic or Pythonic code (done when I was still fairly new
    to Python), but clear, well-commented - IMO, of course.
    Also it is a real-world, though small, app, with both end-user tools
    and a developer API.
    So you can play around with using and extending it, etc. - and its easy
    to understand too.
    Might help motivate the learning if you try to build something useful
    with it :)

    HTH
    Vasudev Ram
    Software training and consulting