Re: where did they find this: "(W3C) recommends lowercaseattributes/attribute values in their HTML 4

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Lewis, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <iasnji$60e$-september.org>
    Mike S <> wrote:
    > I have seen this in several places online, and while I use all lower
    > case for readability, I can't find this anywhere in the HTML4 spec, am I
    > missing something? w3schools is a pretty decent site with a lot of good
    > information, so I'm wondering where they found this, I would be
    > surprised if they just made it up, but I guess it is possible:

    w3schools is a cesspit of missinfomation, I think you meant to say.

    > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_attributes.asp

    > Attribute names and attribute values are case-insensitive.

    This is true.

    > However, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase
    > attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation.

    This is not.

    > Newer versions of (X)HTML will demand lowercase attributes.

    This is true, and a lot of people standardized on lowercase when XHTML
    looked like it might be useful, but then Microsoft/IE decided to render
    it useless and it never came to much. XHMTL *required* lowercase.

    However, I will 'fix' the case on any HTML document I happen to come
    across.

    --
    If we get through this alive I'll meet you next week same place same
    time

    Lewis, Nov 9, 2010

  2. Re: where did they find this: "(W3C) recommends lowercase attributes/attribute values in their HTML 4 recommendation"

    Lewis wrote:

    >> Attribute names and attribute values are case-insensitive.

    > This is true.

    No, attribute values are case-sensitive or case-insensitive depending on the
    attribute. While align="CeNtER" is formally OK, title="Foo" has a meaning
    different from title="foo", and <ol type="A"> generates numbering different
    from <ol type="a">.

    >> Newer versions of (X)HTML will demand lowercase attributes.

    > This is true, and a lot of people standardized on lowercase when XHTML
    > looked like it might be useful, but then Microsoft/IE decided to
    > render it useless and it never came to much. XHMTL *required*
    > lowercase.

    So XHTML isn't much of the future, is it? Except maybe as transfer format
    when XML compatibility is useful

    The foreseeable future of HTML is HTML5, and it plays by old rules here,

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 9, 2010